Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Default Bunny help

Right now Amelia is not at all getting enough time out of her cage. Aside from a little bit of free play time each day she's in a fairly small, boring cage for most of the day.

I want to build something outside for her to play in for a few hours each day. Not a hutch, I want to get an expen or something and put a dig box and more interesting toys and things in it.

We have about 5 kazillion stupid loose cats in my neighborhood. They come in my yard. They come on my porch. They taunt my dogs, sleep on my outdoor furniture, roll in my plants, stalk my fish, and ruin my life.

She wouldn't be out all night or when we're gone in a way I'd have to worry about wild animals or dogs or something, but I don't want a cat to bother her (scratch her or bite her...i don't think they'd eat her and she can certainly stand up for herself, though she's not in the slightest fearful of dogs...)

How do I keep cats out of my expen (or playpen, or something similar)? I'm thinking about putting netting over it, but I don't know if that will work/ keep them from jumping on it, flopping in, getting stuck, and freaking out.

I'm probably going to put it on the porch or deck so I don't have to worry about her digging underneath, but if it goes on the grass, will bricks around the inside edge keep her in?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

We had a pen with a lid on it for my guys. It was a wood frame pen with chicken wire around the edge, and the lid was the same. We'd drape a sheet over it for added privacy and cat/hawk deterrent. As the years went on, we just used a sheet, and we never had any problems.

You could do the same thing inside though, and then predators wouldn't be an issue. In poor weather, we've set up large exercise runs in the garage for foster rabbits, and ours have run of the living room. Set up the expen in the living room if you're worried about chewing and such.

If Amelia is a digger, bricks aren't going to stop her. Pens need to be sunk into the ground at least 8-10 inches as a precaution.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

We don't have room in the house...

I'll just set it up on the deck, probably.

She gets some time to run free around the house but it's not enough time...only about an hour and not even that much every day.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

How much space do you have? Can you bunny proof a room? My friend fosters rabbits in an apartment, and while he's at work during the day he gates the kitchen or the bathroom off and lets the bunny run around the room. The floor is linoleum, so it's easy to sweep or mop up messes when he gets home, and there's nothing the rabbit can chew (save the cabinets--but that's not going to be dangerous the way electrical wires are)

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Salty Sea Dog

anyone in your family good with a saw and hammer?

things like these are very popular in the uk, use hardware cloth NOT chicken wire for the sides, and then put chicken wire on the bottom (if your putting it on grass, itll sink into the grass becomming no problem on the feet while eliminating the risk of her digging out)
since its just for playtime you could just leave the solid hidey hole part out and throw a blanket or something for shade over one end.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
How much space do you have? Can you bunny proof a room? My friend fosters rabbits in an apartment, and while he's at work during the day he gates the kitchen or the bathroom off and lets the bunny run around the room. The floor is linoleum, so it's easy to sweep or mop up messes when he gets home, and there's nothing the rabbit can chew (save the cabinets--but that's not going to be dangerous the way electrical wires are)
We don't have anything like that...I mean some times we let her run around the guest room or media room which are bunny safe, I'm not really comfortable leaving her out in those places when I'm gone, though. It's hard with two dogs we need to crate-and-rotate, though...my family isn't exactly responsible or helpful whatsoever in these aspects.

Foxy, I was actually thought of building one of those for chickens (which I won't be getting ) It looks like a great idea, though. My dad is a master carpenter and we have a nice space right behind my veggie garden that would work for that, if my parents won't mind it going there permanently, then I think that's what I'll do.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Salty Sea Dog

there actually quite light once built, in the uk they often add "handles" and move them frequently, keeps the lawn mowed and fertilized
or, im sure your dad would be able to figure out a way to put a long piano hinge ontop so it can fold away for storage being its a triangle...?

not to mention how GREAT rabbit manure is for a veggie patch

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets