Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I like the look of a lean, effortless, wash-n-wear Border Collie who could run all day or hang out around the house all day.
We have a clinet at the clinic who insists BCs shouldn't ever be bathed. Those are some of the dirtiest, nastiest dogs I've ever seen. 10-12 years old and never had a bath. So, she agrees with you about the "wear" part, but not the "wash" part
Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I agree that BYB dogs don't have a definite type at all- that's whole point of a BYB really, never met a BYB who cared about "type."

But like in my example with chows, BYB chows don't *usually* have the characteristic "scowl" and I personally prefer the look of a more open faced chow. Often with chows in the show ring I can't even see their eyes.

ETA: I don't know about BYB BCs. I can say for certain a prefer working line border collies 100% over show BCs.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
petperson

I don't like the extreme look in any breed. Give me a dog that looks as if he can do the job his breed was intended for; give me a dog that's healthy and temperamentally sound. A dog with way too much or way too little leg, with so much coat that you can't see the dog in there, tremendously over- or undersized--not so much.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Navy Sister

Quote:
I don't like the extreme look in any breed.
I agree with this sentiment.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Top Dog

^Same, I don't like what is in my opinion extreme type.

I'm not sure about my opinions regarding BYB vs purebred. Edit - I do know my opinion when it come to sourcing your family pet though - ethical registered breeder or rescue all the way. I love a lot of well bred purebreds, but I'm sure I have thought some BYB were registered purebreeds (by mistake, I don't think I have the best eye for thistype of thing). I can't say I love any set type of BYB, because to me they don't have a set type. I can't deny that an individual dog may look handsome to me BYB or not. Of course, when it comes to my own dog I am bias. I think she is adorable, but I can see that she is not correct type, so much so that I refer to her as a Chi x. In reality, she probably is a cross - she is certainly not well-bred. I do my best to make sure people realise that she is not what a registered Chi should look like.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 AM
:( only one :(

Some have mentioned some of the dogs I like better then other when it comes to byb vs show, one is the Pekingese. The show bred one looks so uncomfortable for some reason. I like the ones that look almost like either a Tibetan Spaniel or a Japanese Chin, which is the ones I tend to see more often.

And Greyhounds, it's not byb but I prefer the look of a racer then the show line. The racers look a lot more fit and I like their body proportions better. The show one seem to be bigger with longer necks.

Another one is the America Pit Bull Terriers. I like the BYB better, maybe it's because more of them have their cute floppy ear, or Luce ear, that I love so much.

Most others I prefer the show line, and that includes the Chihuahua. I love the apple dome head.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 AM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny View Post
Some have mentioned some of the dogs I like better then other when it comes to byb vs show, one is the Pekingese. The show bred one looks so uncomfortable for some reason. I like the ones that look almost like either a Tibetan Spaniel or a Japanese Chin, which is the ones I tend to see more often.
EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I said that - the first time I saw a trio of them, I had to ask if they were chins!

Quote:
Another one is the America Pit Bull Terriers. I like the BYB better, maybe it's because more of them have their cute floppy ear, or Luce ear, that I love so much.
Where are these APBTs!? Every byb one I see is 120lbs or looks like a hippopitamous (or both!)

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM
:( only one :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post

Where are these APBTs!? Every byb one I see is 120lbs or looks like a hippopitamous (or both!)
I don't like those APBTs either, the ones I mean are the ones I often see in shelters or here on this forum.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
luce is 45 lbs, mushroom is 55 lbs, and both are BYB shelter dogs. actually there are a lot of really nice, correct-sized pits in the shelter here (harrisburg, pa). some oversized ones as well of course.

(luce's ears are legendary!)
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
We have a clinet at the clinic who insists BCs shouldn't ever be bathed. Those are some of the dirtiest, nastiest dogs I've ever seen. 10-12 years old and never had a bath. So, she agrees with you about the "wear" part, but not the "wash" part
That is a pet peeve of mine and I have met some of those people too. I don't care if it's a working breed or not, it's getting a bath and groom every now and then.

There was the NASTIEST smelling dog at the park the other day. It was a husky and it just reeked. It leaned up on me too and I smelt so awful. I don't know how the owner dealt with it or spent any time around it, it was that bad.

End rant.

ETA: Also, if it's long haired, the feet WILL be scissored. Personal hangup I guess.