Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I do agree about the non-show bred Pekes (the ones that resemble Tibetan Terriers) less extreme = more attractive animal to me.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Obey the Toad.

But "well bred" is subjective too. Breeders and fans of Am line GSDs and extremely stocky bench labs will tell you all day long that their dogs are well bred, because they are bred to the standard as they interpret it, and are winning....

We had a whole thread about whether or not puggles were cute--not sure how this is different....I see what you are saying, but I don't think you can really tell people "Don't you dare find this cute!!" lol

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Breeds that I would only get from a shelter because I don't like what is intentionally being bred, though many of these breeds I wouldn't own anyway (felt the need to preface with my own definition ):

-Labs
-GSD
-Peke
-APBT
-Greyhound (not really BYB, but I like the look of racing greys WAAAY more than the ones in the show ring)
-Shar pei (sometimes they show up in rescues with way less wrinkles and IMO they look so much more...functional)
-Shelties (while I wouldn't consider them a BYB, the people who I used to do flyball with bred their shelties and they were out of AKC standard with way less coat, larger, etc but they did so many sports and had so many titles and health testing that I wouldn't consider them BYB. If I wanted a sheltie, they are what I would want.)

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Just try me..

Oh sure people can find them cute. But really they are finding some dogs cute, not all byb versions cute.

Pretty much everyone agreed that the one puggle that fran posted was cute. But that is a very very small percentage of what the actual type looks like. If even most looked like that then yes I would say puggles are cute. Most byb dogs I have met are not all that attractive (crooked legs, funny heads, roached backs, saggy eyes etc. A small percentage ARE super cute) But how can you say you like a type, when what you like is only 1% of what you are talking about cause there is no really no type.

Yes a handful of really adorable byb dogs are some of the cutest dogs ever, but most aren't. (a quick trip to craigs list or kijiji will show that)
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Oh sure people can find them cute. But really they are finding some dogs cute, not all byb versions cute.

Pretty much everyone agreed that the one puggle that fran posted was cute. But that is a very very small percentage of what the actual type looks like. If even most looked like that then yes I would say puggles are cute. Most byb dogs I have met are not all that attractive (crooked legs, funny heads, roached backs, saggy eyes etc. A small percentage ARE super cute) But how can you say you like a type, when what you like is only 1% of what you are talking about cause there is no really no type.

Yes a handful of really adorable byb dogs are some of the cutest dogs ever, but most aren't. (a quick trip to craigs list or kijiji will show that)
I definitely thought of you today...

A lady came in and she had a horrendous bat eared, no off switch, squatted JRT and then went on about how she got a female who is so nice and she showed me a picture and it was another bat eared, squatted, awful looking thing and said how she was gonna breed them because she'd be such a good mum and they are such good examples of the breed. I wanted to punch her.

I've never once in my life seen another JRT like yours other than the dog on the Evo red meat small bites bag.

I don't even know if that's a well bred one either.

It just sickened me... And i can't say anything because my boss doesn't care what they do as long as they shop here and she doesn't want me running off customers because i don't agree with what they're doing. The supplier of our bones breeds bloody labradoodles and have FOUR litters on the ground ready for christmas... Talk about dollar signs.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

I like boxers with less wrinkes on their face. Like Gavroche I don't want a dog that needs a face lift just so it doesn't lose its eyes.

I like the pugs that look like miniature mastiffs <3
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

I've seen a few BYB dogs of different breeds that I thought were really pretty comapred to a some well bred counterparts I've seen, but those dogs are few and far between. Generally speaking, I don't prefer any BYB dog over a well bred specimen of any breed.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I have a 3 byb JRTs and I can say that I definitely find well bred ones 50,000X more attractive. Like the Dekklets, I love all 3 of them. But I don't love mine any less because they're not "pretty" to look at. It's what's on the inside that counts (even though that's not always pretty either with my three, hahaha). Someday I'll have a "real" JRT!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Like Dekka said, it just really depends on the dog. I've seen some pretty ugly BYB golden retrievers but Boris was handsome. Same with any breed really.

Like that goldendoodle in the thread... very cute. I've seen some I didn't find cute.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
and Fozzie B!

Hmmm...

It's hard to say whether I like "BYB" or "well-bred" Border Collies because that could mean completely different things to different people. To me, a Champion show BC who has proven nothing but their conformation and who is bred is on the same level as a BYB. While some one else might say that a Border Collie who works every day and who has never been shown should not be bred. I like the look of a lean, effortless, wash-n-wear Border Collie who could run all day or hang out around the house all day. I cring at a heavy boned, sluggish, teased/fluffed Border Collie. And that is unfortunately what most people perceive as "well bred". However, I also don't generally like the looks of BYB Border Collies, as in truly pet bred. I like the craziness of them even less!

I have met BYB Cardigans that looked much better and much fitter to do the job they were intended to than some of the super stocky, super short show lines. I've also met BYB Cardigans who just looked awkward, and whose joints were horrible, so I think it's a matter of finding a perfect medium.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie