Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Oh and I just want a goldendoodle soo bad!!

Oh and I also very much prefer the show type pom.
OMG! To be honest I don't really like the look of wire haired or curly coated dogs, but that dog is CUTE!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Just try me..

i think part of your definition is wrong. Byb dogs don't have a 'look' they way show bred or working bred dogs do. I have seen as many hideous GSDs as I have 'well bred ones' (and no the horrid over done ones are not well bred) Yes some byb dogs are very attractive, but as there is no 'type' its kind of insulting to those with the breed to say I prefer the look of all the fugly dogs over yours.

I have a Smudge on my lap (MP is visiting) I have never been a cocker person but man he is cute. The droopy eyed curly coated byb cockers I have met are not very esthetically pleasing. I have met ONE really adorable byb cocker in a pet store. But the really adorable ones seem to be the rarity not the norm.

I love the look of a nice working GSD, or BC. Some byb dogs also end up balanced and nice yes but not as often as the working dogs do. I don't like the excess coats on working dogs (like bc or shelties) but I also don't like the byb versions I see.. I do like the working bred ones that have useful conformation and non extreme coats.

(and don't get me started on byb JRTs.. I have had people say they prefer the look of the short bandy legged JRTs frequently. It drives me nuts that people would prefer an incorrect and less functional version and say it. Just realize that this thread could hurt the feelings or those who do work to keep their breed correct.. ie moderate to here that you prefer the products of those who don't care at all)
Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm All Ears

I think as long as people are polite then it's not really a big deal... there's a difference in saying 'papillons are ugly' and I prefer oversized papillons. I actually know several people that have rescued byb paps and really love the extra size they tend to have. Actually I wouldn't mind it myself some days.

Maybe BYB and well bred are wrongly defined but there are some breeds where the average pet dog looks very different from the average show dog.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Let it be

I like dogs that are functional with well rounded conformation. Be they from a shelter, a show breeder, a working breeder etc. Doesn't matter.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie's a BYB dog i'm 99% sure. She didn't come with any CKC papers or anything, i should really call her breeder one of these days. Meh.

I love Izzie, she's beautiful. While she'd never win in the show ring, she can function like a normal dog.

Chai is a BYB dog. She too is beautiful and closer to "show type" than either Ruby or Izzie. She's got a big head, big chest, shorter body and shorter legs and smushier nose. She's still functional though and LOVES to just run.

Ruby is a BYB dog. She's my queen bee. Love her to bits and she's so adorable. She's got skinny legs a small head, a loose tail, and had patellar luxation and a slight elongated palate nothing to worry too much about though. She too loves to run but can't do it as much as she'd like, she does like to hop around and prance and has a killer personality.

I like the look of show bred pugs... But i like the way Izzie looks more. It's hard to say, bench pug look so unhealthy a lot of the time.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I like dogs that are functional with well rounded conformation. Be they from a shelter, a show breeder, a working breeder etc. Doesn't matter.
THIS!
*internet hi-5*!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I think as long as people are polite then it's not really a big deal... there's a difference in saying 'papillons are ugly' and I prefer oversized papillons. I actually know several people that have rescued byb paps and really love the extra size they tend to have. Actually I wouldn't mind it myself some days.

Maybe BYB and well bred are wrongly defined but there are some breeds where the average pet dog looks very different from the average show dog.
Agreed. I had a 10 minutes argument with my mom at a dog show about whether or not the dog we were looking at was a golden retriever. She insisted that if was a different breed that the goldens she had seen--lol.

The average bench lab does look very different to the average "pet bred" lab, and pet breds seem to look different than field breds (although not as different as the difference between show and pet). Actually, there are a number of people that don't even identify Jack as a lab--they think he's a chessie because of his coat (although he is not as large as many bench breds and his head is moderate--not rottish).

I honestly can't say a prefer one type over the other aesthetically. As far as looks go I like a moderate looking dog that is pleasing to the eye.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

What I mean by byb is basically a dog that would show up in my local shelter.

And there's nothing wrong with preferring the look of a "low quality" dog over the look of a well-bred one...heck, well-bred pekinese are, in my opinion, some of the fugliest dogs on the planet, but some of the ones I've seen come into my shelter are outstandingly gorgeous.

Just because you think something is pretty and pleasing to the eye, doesn't mean I or everyone else does.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Big Dog

For me, I prefer the look of a lot of pet quality small breed dogs. Not that they are not from good breeders but I like them in puppy cut hair do's instead of show coats.

I wouldn't give you 2 cents for some of the small dogs in the show ring with the giant foo foo hair. That goes for the Poodles and some of the long coated dogs in the ring. I just do not get into the giant hair.

As far as Rottweiler's go, I do NOT think the back yard bred dogs are very good looking at all. I don't think all of the dogs that make it into the ring are that great either. I guess I am fussiest of all about my favorite breed. If I saw my own rescue boy Oliver on the streets and didn't know him I would think "eeeek!" but I know him and I love him very much. His personality makes up for all of his many many faults but I still wish he were well bred because then he wouldn't have all of the health issues. It is so sad to see him suffer because of his crappy conformation.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
But who is to say the average show dog is well bred? (many show breeders I know are little more than small scale puppymillers that show)

To me well bred means a good example of the breed. So that means no over done coats, extreme phenotypes etc.

If someone wanted to say I prefer the moderate look to the show ring look then you could have this conversation with out saying I think a members well bred Cockers just aren't as attractive as byb ones.. And with out coming out as condoning byb (even when you say you aren't people who are into buying byb dogs will see this thread as a 'see byb dogs are better' and at any given time there are many more guests viewing chaz than members'

I would love for there to be no byb JRTs in rescue needing homes, with wonky legs, and funny conformation. But as long as people prefer that look, and promote that look there will be those dogs in rescue... It has nothing to do with politeness really.