Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Default BYB vs Well-Bred

So, this is just something I'm curious about.

Are there any breeds that you find the "byb version" more attractive than the "well-bred" version?

I think the typical "byb" chihuahuas and pomeranians are much easier on the eyes than the well-bred versions. The apple head and bulging eyes of traditional well-bred chihuahuas creep me out....and I think byb pomeranians are just so much better looking than the well-bred ones, who look kind of fake to me.

Also, I have seen some extremely handsome German shepherds appear at the shelter I volunteer at. I'd take one of those over the "American Hocktrotters" anyday!

So, what about you?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm All Ears

Depends. In GSDs I'm not a fan of the Am showlines. Some of the German lines are pretty bad too. But my favorite type looks-wise is DDR working lines. So they're definitely not badly bred.

My favorite chi head is Romeo, lol. I like that he looks distinctly chihuahua without having a really extreme head. Some chis now seem to have no nose and a really bulbous looking head.

I love those 20 lb throwback spitzy looking poms. Not gonna lie.

Border collies I tend to like BYB looks better than most showlines. Too heavy and too fluffy. The BYB lines tend to look more like the working/sport lines which I prefer looks wise.

Shelties depend. Trey (show bred) was gorgeous but so was Nikki(Byb). Some of the showlines again are getting too puffy for my tastes and the faces are getting too... strange?

Can't think of any more off the top of my head at the moment.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think its not about being "well bred", its about breeders who for show or other reasons take the standard to its EXTREME.

as for chihuahuas, romeo is well bred, and he certainly doesn't have bulging eyes and his head is shaped pretty normal.. so its not really a well bred thing. once again, its a thing for breeders who take the standard to the EXTREME
I want my chihuahua to look like a CHIHUAHUA.
.. not like this.

There are byb chi breeders where you get the above, there are normal good ones where you get a chi that fits the standard but the dogs look normal and then you do run into those that breed to the EXTREME, so you have tiny short dogs with big apple heads and bulging eyes..

as for BYB dogs, German shepherds are the only thing I can think of, but thats only in comparison with extreme american show line breeders (hips on the ground). Most working line breeders have some BEAUTIFUL dogs that are normally shaped lol

Matlese would be another one! though I think its just because I don't like the "show coat"lol same goes for shih tzus, but I think its just the pet haircut I like better

Cocker spaniels, I tend to like the byb bred look a bit better for some odd reason. Though I haven't really met too many well bred cockers, just seen show dogs

umm.. English bulldogs. I just love em'.. especially the goofy odd looking byb ones

Being "well bred" for me is a dog with health tested, healthy parents/grandparents with great temperaments.

I just try to stay away from breeders who breed for extreme anything. wether its head shape, crazy coat, shortness, tallness, or any size extreme
Old 04-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Just as long as everyone knows I'm not condoning BYBs, I'll bite. . .

BYB chows often have more open faces, which I find more attractive.
BYB GSDs can obviously have even more issues than well bred ones, but even if they don't fit the standard, seeing a GSD that doesn't have its butt dragging on the ground is nice.

I'll add more later.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
The Littlest Hound

PEKES! I find lots of pekes without the crazy heavy double coats on petfinder all the time - when I get a peke, it'll be off petfinder. Plus I see a lot of like parti-color ones... they're so freaking cute! lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

There's a very big difference between "well bred" and bred for extremes. Most BYB GSD's i see are huge, way out of standard and don't have a lot of the traits that make a GSD a gsd. and I am talking about the mental make up.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
PEKES! I find lots of pekes without the crazy heavy double coats on petfinder all the time - when I get a peke, it'll be off petfinder. Plus I see a lot of like parti-color ones... they're so freaking cute! lol
That's another one I forgot.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:54 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I'd take one of those over the "American Hocktrotters" anyday!
i guess it depends on your definition of "well bred". i don't consider the excessively exaggerated showline GSDs seen in the american showring to *be* well bred. successful in the showring and potentially ridiculously expensive, yes, but functional?

i don't like the way bench bred border collies look at all. same thing as the shepherds- they might do well in the showring, but are they functional? i'll stick with my coyote collie who would be laughed out of the breed ring.

golden retrievers, labs, most lines of amstaffs, many lines of UKC apbts- they're empty, overdone, fat shells of what the breed is supposed to be. so in a lot of cases i *do* prefer what i'm seeing come from bybers, but there are also responsible breeders out there breeding fantastic dogs who would not succeed in the breed ring but are coming from tested, proven stock.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Lab Love

I prefer the BYB version of Neo's. I don't know what working bred neo's look like but ever since I met Ellie the neo when I first started working the daycare I was sold on the look of byb neo's. Lol

Less wrinkles is more..

vs

Unlike everyone else I prefer the show type pom .. But still like the byb look.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Resident fainting goat

Oh and I just want a goldendoodle soo bad!!

Oh and I also very much prefer the show type pom.