Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Btw, off topic, but I sent you pics of your collars.
And they're FANTASTIC!! I sent you an email back but I dunno if you'll check that or here so I did both.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Oh yeah. There are way cheaper cages and if you hang out on craigslist or ebay you can generally find used ones. I was sold on the critter nation cause both doors open fully in the front and it comes with its own stand and it's really really sturdy. And I've seen it quoted on several forums that it can hold up to six rats (with most people saying they'd only go to four). So far I really really like it.
But the single is definitely big enough for two rats???
I'd want the double, but I would not be able to easily store it. See, I'd want to keep any small pet in my bedroom where I can shut the door to keep Ella out.
OH MAN. Ella would pop a blood vessel in her head if she saw a cage like that with small furry creatures in it. So, I'd have to be able to kick her out of the room and shut the door. She's already showing great interest in the mice when they're out and about, so I already have to keep her out of my room, and the door shut, when I'm not in there.

And I'm glad you like the collars.

Oooh!
Also, is this a good rat forum to join?
Rat Forum - Index

I really want to educate myself about rats before getting one.
I don't like how clueless I am about owning my mice. Granted, you guys here have helped a LOT, and I joined a mouse forum, but I hate joining new forums AFTER I've gotten an animal because then I feel like an idiot.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
facetious.

Hahah, no need to apologize! I wasn't referencing you, just that by the time I had posted, the thread was already a few pages back so nobody would see it, and I know I've seen people ask about ratties a few times on this forum already, so, you're not guilty!

Ratforum is decent/okay, Goosemoose really has an informational stronghold, and if you're ever in an emergency situation with your rats and for some reason can't get to the vet, if you post online, people usually respond very quickly with all the advice they have. Given the members can be pretty militant sometimes(if you check it out, you'll probably see some pretty fiery posts, not necessarily flame-y, just really stern), all the people on the forum are fiercely passionate about their rats. It also has a neat market section, where people buy and sell rat items, mostly ratty furniture and cage decorations, though sometimes you can find used cages in your area and whatnot.

The thing with Ratforum, is though I've visited only handful of times, it doesn't seem to be closely moderated(not in a censorship-like way, in a can-someone-please-delete-these-spam-threads kinda way), and its basis of members seem to be younger or less experienced, and at times, less aware. On Goosemoose I've found a number of reputable breeders, rat veterans(people who have been keeping rats for years and years), veterinarians, etc. It's pretty decent (: Good luck with your ratty adventures!

On the topic of cages, I bought my Feisty Ferret(liiittle smaller than the FN) on Craigslist for $60, with minimal wear and tear. I love it! A lot of people really like Martin's Cages(usually the 695 or the 699), and some people even build their own

Homemade Metal Shelving Cage

Homemade Hardware Clothe Cage

Last edited by Crowsfeet; 04-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
feel the magic

Don't you need to line cages like that with material for their feet, though??

If I were to buy one of those martin's cages, would I need to do anything to it to modify it to fit two rats?
What would I need to do to the cage.

ooooh, you guys are making me SICK!!
D@MMIT.
You're going to make me get some rats, aren't you???!!!
My husband is going to kill me!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Don't you need to line cages like that with material for their feet, though??

If I were to buy one of those martin's cages, would I need to do anything to it to modify it to fit two rats?
What would I need to do to the cage.

ooooh, you guys are making me SICK!!
D@MMIT.
You're going to make me get some rats, aren't you???!!!
My husband is going to kill me!
You can line the shelves with pieces of linoleum or fleece. You can use the cage calc that crowsfeet linked to find out how many rats will be ok in a cage. I found the calculators somewhat confusing so just make sure you don't forget to add in the shelf space.

And YES you must get ratties....lol.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but you can build cages. I've seen a lot of posts on the rat forums with home made cages. Some of them are very very cool.

ETA: Whoops, forgot to answer your question. The CN single cage is capable of holding up to four rats comfortably. Also, here's a cage calculator that checks for shelf space. Linky

Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

I used to read Goosemoose when I had rats. I liked it a lot.
Oh, for one of my rat cages I found a HUGE birdcage on Ebay and modified by adding floors with dowels and plastic flooring and litter pans between dowels and hanging baskets and things. It was awesome. Harder to clean than the ferret nation, though. That cage is by far the best cage I have ever had--so easy to clean, big, sturdy, just great. I loved my ratties. I had 2 neutered males I adopted from the humane society and a female I got from the pet store who ended up being pregnant and had babies. I kept them all, so I had 3 different cage setups going. They say males are the friendliest, but my petstore female turned out to be the most friendly. She'd come to her name when yuo called it, sit on my shoulder and just ride around, etc. Sadly, my roommate's husky broke into her cage and killed her. I heard her screaming from the other room. I never forgave that dog.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
feel the magic

perhaps I am entering my calculations incorrectly, but, uh, Taqroy, it's telling me that the SINGLE critter nation can hold up to 9 rats if space is used wisely.
And the double could hold 17????

That cannot be right...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

I think technically they can hold a whole lot of rats, but I would feel comfortable with no more than maybe 8 in the double. Maybe not if males, as they are larger. But I like my animals to have lots of room. When I had a lot in one cage, they did tend to all bunch up together and lay on top of each other all the time anyway, though.
It's so fun with rats to make them things for their cage and come up with cheap and creative fun things for them. I sewed a fleece bag and used to carry my favorite around with me, too.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

Holy cow. 9?? I don't think that's right but now I can't get it to work either...lol. And yeah thus far ours have spent most of their time piled on top of each other in the igloo. They're not even using my awesome hammocks lol.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
facetious.

9 in a CN? Uh oh, that may be the link to the broken cage calculator.. There are two, maybe three, and I think one is currently having some major issues... err, let me check that.

Edit:

This one usually works pretty well.

Supposedly cage calculators will never be fully accurate, but they should give you a pretty reasonable approximation.

And yep, any wired cages should have their flooring padded in some way, fleece, towels, and linoleum tiles being good suggestions (:

Also, feel free to drop into this thread for some comfy looking cages.

Last edited by Crowsfeet; 04-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.