Life lessons your dogs have taught you

Paige

Let it be
We've all had those moments where we're nearly ripping out our hair screaming WHY?! Wondering why we put ourselves through such torture. Dog ownership isn't always easy, but anyone who sticks it out through the rough patches knows what I am talking about. Dogs teach you things about yourself you had no idea even existed. So let's here what you have learned from your dogs.

Shelby, my childhood dog, taught me that love is unconditional. Just because you didn't like the behavior at hand had nothing to do with the how much you loved her. She barked, she shed, she would scratch at your legs to get attention, pulled on the leash, chew up your socks and then bark some more. She taught me never to take for granted the time you have with anyone as you never know when they are going to be taken away from you. Be it they move away, drift apart or pass on.

Spanky taught me that being selfless and selfish are often in the eye of the beholder. Keeping him was to neither of our benefits as I was ill and couldn't keep up with his needs anymore but rehoming him was frowned upon by a lot of fellow dog lovers. It was not an easy choice and I held onto him longer than I should of but in the end I knew it was best to find him a new home. Letting go of him was hard but when push came to shove I knew we'd both move on and be happy. I miss him so much.

Miley was quite the lesson. It was such a simple concept I thought I understood until it came time to apply it. Not everyone learns the same. She required a whole different approach. Everyone thought she was a right dimwit. She wasn't. She was just different.

Bandit, last but not least, has certainly taught me the most. He's shown me how to appreciated life, even on the worst of days. If a dog with such baggage can over come his obstacles I can too. Every day he lets me know he loves me. He has give me such joy watching his growth it inspires me to keep trucking through the worst of it with a smile on my face. There is always time to stop and sniff (or pee) on the flowers. Life is too short to take it for granted and it took one heck of a grumpy puppy to let me see that. I think the reason Bandit and I have such a close bond is I see so much of myself in him. Looking back to when I got him we were both miserable, but as time has gone on we've both blossomed into new beings. I look forward to the time we have together.

So what about your dogs?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
What didnt' mary teach me. I guess the most important one was to just relax and love the moment and the ones you love in it..at all times. AS long as we were together even the big stuff wasn't too big.

Victor, that a dog can take you on a trail of life you never expect and make you a better person because of it. THat I could indeed love again after the loss of a heart dog and I could have another heart dog in this lifetime. WE are both the winners in this relationship. I feel so sorry for people that lose a dog and never get another because it hurt too much. Victor also taught me to trust my instincts as to how I knew he was the one...even when he looked just the opposite the first time I saw him in person. I write it all the time..to go to petfinder and wait until your heart goes gathump. Victor was the right one and I knew it without a doubt the first time I saw his pic.

Pepper that nothing good comes easy and trust and love earned when all else has failed before is better than a birthday, a Christmas and the lottery all rolled up in one.

Dreeza

Oakley has taught me that you can get away with just about ANYTHING...as long as you look cute after you do it. :D

Catsi

Abby has taught me that you have to work with the dog you have, appreciate the dog you have, love the dog you have... not necessarily the dog you thought you would have.

Life lessons - willingness to learn
Dedication
Being able to cope outside your comfort level
Flexibility and creativity
Appreciating victories large or small
Learning from failures/mistakes
Excitement for what life brings next

I broke it down into life lessons, instead of rambling. :p

I love reading these!

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There's so so many.

The hardest one to learn was Rosie. Rosie taught me about loss and loss at too young an age. Sometimes you lose people you love way too early. She taught me how to get through the pain. similarly I believe Harry and Hiro were brought here to teach Emily and Josie the same lesson. It was something all three of us had to learn. My mom used to ask why we all had to go through losing a puppy and now I know.

Nikki taught me that out of loss and sorrow something good can happen. She also taught me that people who are rough on the edge can many times have a heart of gold. Nikki taught me so much. Childhood devotion, how to teach a dog, friendship. She and I were literally the image you get of a kid and their dog. We were together all the time.

Shack and Pete taught me to love dogs. I know that silly but I attribute the my love for them to them.

Beau is possibly the most influential. I don't even know where to start. First without him, I wouldn't have had any of these other paps. He taught me about loving life and humor. He taught me about best friendship and how it never dies even if one of you does. He also reconfirmed how deep a bond a dog and his owner can have. Dogs don't get enough credit. I really believe he has a soul and a spirit regardless of what religion says, and he will one day be reunited with his mom.

Rose taught me about trust and overcoming your past. She's also taught me about the importance of family and finding your real family.

Trey taught me a lot too. He taught me that being different is okay. He taught me about vulnerability and absolute trust. He was just such a simple dog, so pure in a way. Simple emotions but he was so sincere.

Nard taught me not to leave things in the floor or the puppy will eat them, lol! No seriously, he's taught me patience and steadfastness. That is one good little dog.

Mia has taught me about spirit. She has taught me to stop and chase the squirrels every now and then. She is so much fun and so spontaneous. Everything about her lives for the moment and I need to do more of that.

And Summer... Summer has taught me about comfort and devotion. She taught me it's okay to take comfort in someone else. She taught me your best friends will be there whenever you need them. She's taught me a lot about myself and most of it can't be put into words. She has taught me the importance of just pure love. She has taught me that just bringing a smile to someone is one of the best things you can do. She has taught me that you don't have to be exceptionally big, strong, fast, or smart to be a major positive influence on the people around you. She's taught me to go meet new people- they might just be your new best friend. Little dog, big heart. That's what I tell her. I have never met a dog with more heart than Summer. Every time I think she can't get more loving, she finds room to add someone else in.

Oh wow, that was long.

Last edited:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
To be honest it's demeaning (for lack of a better word) to write down what they've taught me because it goes so much deeper than what I can express in words. I'll bite, though. ;)

Lucy has taught me to appreciate things in the moment, to make the best of everything. She's so cheerful. She's taught me to try to take my dread and turn it into a more positive form of anticipation, or to focus more on what's going on in the present. She's also taught me patience. ;)

Millie has taught me the most out of all of the dogs I've ever had. She's taught me about deep love and devotion. She's taught me what it really is to be a friend, and what family really means. She taught me that a tragedy can lead to the best thing in my life. She's taught me that I can try something I'm terrified of and still be successful, that we can both face our fears. She's taught me that I'm never alone. She's taught me to have the courage to simply love and be loved in return. She's showed me how to be courageous both in daily life and special circumstances. She saves my life every day, both as my companion and my service dog.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Daisy has taught me to "never say die" lol... I thought I got her to have a dog... not a terribly exciting dog, or an athletic dog, or a dog that would do much more than some leash walking and sleeping on the couch. I ended up with a dog that'll be 10 in a month's time and just started more new classes. Her attitude is fantastic and she does everything with gusto. Also, she is made of love. I've learned it's ok to just slow down and enjoy just BEING. Treat others as you would have them treat you - I don't think Daisy's ever had a day when she's been snippy with anyone. Old dogs can learn new tricks, too ;)

Liz has taught me to stop having expectations for other people - many times they'll surprise you. Don't limit others by "deciding" what they are and are not capable of.

Autumn - be your own party, you can't always expect someone else to bring the entertainment, and if you can't keep yourself amused/laugh at yourself, who are you waiting for?!

Abby - let go of the past. Move on, and jump into life whole-heartedly or you'll miss it.

Eer has simply taught me a lot about my own patience and temper. And it hasn't all been good, but we're working on it, together. When we're both in a good space, we work really well together.

Maura

Blue, whom I got when I was 17, taught me that it's a good thing to quickly forgive bad behavior. One doesn't need to stay mad about misbehavior. This was, for me, a profound thing to learn before having a human baby.

BerryBye

Live each day to the fullest! I have a new appreciation for the little things such as “good throwing sticksâ€, a calm day at the lake, when the wind blows the leaves…ohh I could go on and on about the things by dog has made me re-appreciate and notice!
Be clear and concise when giving directions.
Try new things!
Patience is key.
Positive encouragement goes a long way!

And mostly – that I need my dog. He has brought so much laughter and joy to my life, I am grateful for him every single day. Jeez…getting misty eyed here! Keep the great stories coming, I love reading them.

Gypsydals

Ivan has taught me that I do have courage, and to stop hiding out in my house. He has taught me the joys of road trips again. How to enjoy life to the fullest and that every day is a new day to have fun.

elegy

overdogged
Harvey taught that to a lot of Chazhound :)
it never fails to amaze me how many hearts harv touched. here, on other boards, on my blog. i had no idea he would end up being such a special dog when i sprung him from that shelter. i was just looking to give a good home to an old dog.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Lizzie - how close a dog can *really* know a person. I look in her eyes and see straight to the core of her soul.

Blaze - be patient and wait! lol Give him room to think on his own and do it on his own time and he will come through.

milos_mommy

Milo taught me to do everything I do with total and complete enthusiasm and passion, and usually it turns out as good as you try to make it.

He taught me that sometimes you don't get what you expect, but it's just as good, and maybe even better.

He taught me how to be dedicated to something, to put everything you have in to something else, even if it means giving a lot up or making sacrifices.

He taught me about loving beyond flaws, embracing them, even, that you can't decide someone's not a good person because of something they do, a mistake they make, or something you can't understand.

He taught me to put my heart and soul in to every minute, every second of my life...to appreciate the small things and get over the big problems because in the end they're NOT the big things, and the small things aren't the small things.

He taught me that instead of waiting until I die, I should live.

Members online