Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Default I made a snake rack!

Okay, it's a VERY simple rack, but it's functional. What more can you ask for?!

(Also, yes, this is what the question(s) I posted earlier today were about. I have it all fixed and working properly now, though.)

PICS!

Cell phone photo of the finished structure. I used melamine to build it. Please don't mind my messy garage. LOL!

All set up! If needed, it can hold eight (8) 15qt tubs, or four (4) 34qt/40qt tubs, plus Reggie's viv on top. I wanted it to be as versatile as possible. I will probably add castor wheels at some point, but I didn't feel that it was necessary right away.

The tubs. Labeled and color-coded, because I'm a weirdo. The bottom left tub is just full of silk plants/vines for now... storage basically. I wanted to have something on the other half of that UTH for balance.

The "storage" shelves. If I need to, I can take all that stuff out and fill those shelves with four more 15qt tubs. Or two 34qt/40qt tubs.

Close up of my color-coded feeding/record notebooks and delis. I don't know why I still keep Reggie's deli cup... I can't even pretend that he fits in it anymore. LOL!

The thermostats. I have since marked them with post-it notes so I remember which is which. Reggie has a t-stat/UTH all to himself. The other t-stat is hooked up to the two UTHs that heat the tubs.

The thermometers. I've already changed this since taking the photo. Reggie has a thermometer at the warm end AND the cool end. Tatl and Tael share a thermometer with one probe each on the warm ends. Una has one thermometer probe on the warm end of her tub and the second probe is directly on the UTH for reference. The post-its are now marked with the names/probe locations.

One more photo of the whole setup. I am quite proud!

(The spray bottle on top of Reggie's viv is cat deterrent. LOL!)

All in all, I think I did an okay job for a first attempt.

I forgot to take a picture of this, but I used double-sided velcro strapping to help secure the tub lids in the shelves. Since I'm using the latch boxes, the center of the lids don't really fit right up against the shelf above, so the straps provide a little extra peace of mind. Easy to detach/reattach, too!

Let me know what you think! I know it's pretty small/simple, but I already LOVE it! It looks really nice, and it's MUCH better than having tubs scattered all over my office!

Thanks for looking!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Lord Cynical

Very cool! What's your heating method on the tubs? I didn't see any flexwat.... unless you don't have it in yet? Or it's somehow.. under the tubs...

Seriously, COOL!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Resident fainting goat

COOL!!!! Its so..organized! lol I love this kind of stuff (not snakes..but organization and colorful post-its)

they all even have different colored notebooks for records..

you make me want some kind of small creatures so I can make one!! lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Very cool! What's your heating method on the tubs? I didn't see any flexwat.... unless you don't have it in yet? Or it's somehow.. under the tubs...

Seriously, COOL!
I'm actually using the Ultrathem 11x11" UTHs in the center of each shelf. Each tub uses half of one. I already had them, they work great, and I REALLY like them!

If I expand to fill all four shelves with snakes, I will probably switch to Flexwatt, but for now, I'm happy with this setup.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Lord Cynical

I use Ultratherm too... I LOVE Ultratherm.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
COOL!!!! Its so..organized! lol I love this kind of stuff (not snakes..but organization and colorful post-its)

they all even have different colored notebooks for records..

you make me want some kind of small creatures so I can make one!! lol
LOL! Yeah... organized... I seem to be able to do that with my animals. If I were to turn around where I was standing with the camera, though, and take a photo of my desk... um, yeah... LOL! It looks like a blast zone over there.

The color coding happened kind of by accident. I bought different colored notebooks for each snake, and then later realized I already had corresponding post-it note colors, too. Haha!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I use Ultratherm too... I LOVE Ultratherm.
You're the one that pointed me in that direction for my first UTH. If at all possible, I'm going to try to stick with them!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Lord Cynical

I love how Ultratherm never gets too hot (like Flexwatt can) - and it's s o much more stable. Of course I have my heat regulated with a thermostat, but it's nice to know if my thermo fails, my ultratherm *probably* won't burn my snake before I notice the thermostat is broken.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Very Food Agressive

AWESOME!! I love it, I love the color coding and organization Looks great! Funny, we keep a spray bottle on top of ours too to keep the cat away. She thinks it's the devil.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Awesome job! Love the setup!

Now peektures of snakies please??