Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Dog Show Addict

Default Question - Tatooing or Microchip?

Which did you have done with your dog? and why

My puppy came with a Tatoo in his ear, but I was wondering about the microchip.. is it even worth while if the pup has a tatoo?? How exactly does the microchip work and where is it placed. Can it cause problems in the future?
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

My dogs have microchips. I didn't like the tattooing because I heard if people wanted to steal your dog they would cut off the ear or piece of skin the tatoo is on. The vet just gave a little shot in the scruff of his neck and that's basically it. To detect them they just use a scanner and sweep the dogs body. I have heard of cases where the microchip moved to the dogs legs and things so that's something to be aware, but have never heard of it causing any problems.

Oh and I've heard there are three main types of chips and one chip can only be read by a certain type of scanner. The other two are read by the other scanner. I have avid chip because it is what my humane society and most vets around here have.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:03 PM
yuckaduck

Yuck is microchipped and Dallas is tatooed but when Dallas arrives she will be going in for a microchip right away. Safer, not able to be removed so if the dog is stolen no one can remove or alter the microchip.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
GSDGurl

Yup same here ours are chipped.Dog thefts are on the rise here so better with the chip so it doesnt fade.I got our Humane society to do them.Much cheaper than at the vets too.I also think it is not as painful as a tatoo is.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Sheperd Gurl
Yup same here ours are chipped.Dog thefts are on the rise here so better with the chip so it doesnt fade.I got our Humane society to do them.Much cheaper than at the vets too.I also think it is not as painful as a tatoo is.

My vet charges $60 per chip and they do a check up too. Gotta have a check up. THe vets here will not do anything without paying for a $45 check up first.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM
GSDGurl

humane society charges $25 and it can be read by them unlike some the vets here implant.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Active Pup

Mine has a chip - supplied by the vet but through the Humane Society (included in the adoption fee).
Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
no touchy

None of my dogs are microchipper or tatooed, but I'm thinking of getting them chipped. One thing to remember though is that if your dog gets lost and a shelter finds him, they have to have a certain thing to identify his chip. Not all shelters and veterinary clinics have the right scanner for every chip brand.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:22 PM
yuckaduck

The avid microchips are readable with the new and the old scanners. That is what I got Yuck chipped with and I plan to chip Dallas the second she arrives.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
The avid microchips are readable with the new and the old scanners. That is what I got Yuck chipped with and I plan to chip Dallas the second she arrives.
I have the avid chip too. Summer Riot I would just check around and see what scanner/chips the humane society in your area is using.