Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Big Dog

thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Training Pro =)

I have never had any problems with WHAT to give the dog.

It is mostly just something you can use to keep their attention and what will be rewarding.

Try to make it healthy if possible.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Active Pup

Greetings! Brand-spanking new here

I'm working w/my new dog, several yrs old; new to me for approx. 3 mos, and it seems like the higher-value/easier treats (cut up pupperoni, f/d liver, beggin strips, cheese, etc.) cause sloppy poop. I've been using honey nut cherrios, but I start losing him after a short while ... and there's no way he'll respond to emergency recall for a handful of cereal It would be nice to find something easy, rather than having to cook up meat all the time. Anyone in a similar situation find anything quick & easy? Thx!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
Greetings! Brand-spanking new here

I'm working w/my new dog, several yrs old; new to me for approx. 3 mos, and it seems like the higher-value/easier treats (cut up pupperoni, f/d liver, beggin strips, cheese, etc.) cause sloppy poop. I've been using honey nut cherrios, but I start losing him after a short while ... and there's no way he'll respond to emergency recall for a handful of cereal It would be nice to find something easy, rather than having to cook up meat all the time. Anyone in a similar situation find anything quick & easy? Thx!
Yup, the cheapy treats will do that to a lot of dogs' systems. They have a lot of fillers and additives that really hurt digestion.

Easy treats in my house = string cheese. It doesn't mess with Lucy's system the way most meats do (hot dogs and chicken and pepperoni make her sick ), it's not slimy, and its super easy to cut up into tiny pieces or tear off if i don't have time to slice it.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Active Pup

String cheese! Will give it a try! Thx.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Canned chicken also works well if you don't want to cook chicken all the time.

Also make sure that you're using very small pieces of treats - like the size of a pea - which will help make sure that you're not giving too many. It's also a good idea to mix different valued treats up so that your dog doesn't know what he will get next - cheerios, dog biscuits, string cheese, chicken, and a little bit of dog treats would be a good mix. Then he's not getting bored with the same treat over and over (even the best treats get boring after a while), and you're stretching out the treats that cause diarrhea where he's not getting enough of them to cause a problem.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

When I was first encouraging Abby to tug, I used a sock full of baby food. Every now and again I pull out some baby food for a jackpot. Other than that, I try to keep it simple and use what works for my dog. I find a variety works better for her than the same 'ol thing, but this isn't too hard as I use a lot of leftovers (meats). But I have used some not so obvious things, peanut butter, sausage roll meat etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

I use Mini Zukes and EVO treats. The EVO ones are big and not very good for breaking up, but the Mini Zukes are the perfect size.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Active Pup

String cheese failed

Well, it worked great for our emergency recall ... but quickly turned to sloppy poop.
RATS!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
String cheese failed

Well, it worked great for our emergency recall ... but quickly turned to sloppy poop.
RATS!!!
How much did you use? How big is your dog?