Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 09-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Active Pup

Default Dog digging problems

Anyone know how to help stop a dog from digging? When I go to work I put my dog up in the backyard and she has been working on a few big holes.....She has things to do, toys and such, so i dont know what else to do?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:10 PM
GSDGurl

Most dogs dig when they are bored or Hot.Does she have a doghouse and a shaddy area or tree.Also lots of water with ice in it might help.Other than that cant offer much else.I dont leave my dogs in the yard.They stay in the airconditioned house with us.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Active Pup

yeah she has a dog house, but she never uses it! I dont know why.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:49 PM
GSDGurl

What about a tree for shade.Or you can use a tarp and build a sunshade area for your dog to lie under.If your dog doesnt mind getting its feet wet,a kiddie pool with a little water can help keep her cool too.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

I think she's bored ....since I've always a stay home mom for kids and dogs, I never had the problem.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Dog Show Addict

Ohh i was just about to post a question about this.. Riot seems to think that hes a landscape artist.. we have DITCHES dug.. not holes in our backyard from him and the other SHelties, and its not cause they are bored. They have a literal puppy playground in the backyard, they have an agility tunnel(which they love) to play in, TONS of their toys in the yard, a few agility jumps set up, which Jada(our Sheltie pup) loves to go over for fun, they have an overhand which is about 2feet high they like to hide under and play in, they have three huge trees to lay under in the backyard...

They all like to play together, Riot likes to beat them up sometimes lol unknowingly of course.. hes just a rough dog lol But they can hold their own.

They are left in the backyard for hours because they refuse to come in sometimes because they are having too much fun with each other

I like to Leave them out a big bowl of water with ice cubes floating in it. Riot LOVES to dive for the ice cubes lol All three pups like it, but RIot especially.

Would the digging still be related to bordom?
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

Do you have the digging problem ??
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Dog Show Addict

yeah.. all three of our puppies like to dig..
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Whitedobelover

you know my dobermans do that they have plenty water cool always in the shade.... they have huge trees for shade... plus they constantly run around the house she just digs sometimes.... im not sure then she gets prince helping here and it just goes and goes and goes... so i understand what do we do LOL
Old 09-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Top Dog

It can sometimes be boredom, but I think too, that some dogs just plain like to dig. It's fun. It probably comes from some instinct used for looking for something...buried treasure. I mean, dogs need to dig sometimes. Their sense of smell is so keen that maybe there's something there they're trying to find. Who knows?

What some people do is make a big sand box or dirt box and bury some cool toys and even some treats. You can use 2x8's or 2x6's. Get them started....join in the fun, and make a fuss when they start digging....and give more treats...In other words, reward for digging in the designated box.

You have to be there to show them though. When they dig in the other places, you'll have to distract and show them the sand box.

Some people have put poo in the places they normally dig and say that makes it less attractive. Hmmmm. I don't know. Some dogs find the grossest things attractive. But you could try that.

For the first days while you're trying to show them about this new sand box, you could maybe turn on the sprinklers over where the places are that they dig where you don't want them to. Or lay down some plywood over the area. They may still find a new area though, so supervision and training will have to take place at first before you leave....maybe an intense, weekend seminar for the dogs: How to Dig in the Degisnated Location. LOL. Hopefully, they'll like their new, big sand box.