Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Active Pup

Default Dog walker problem

Hi everyone,

I'm a new puppy owner and hired a dog walker. I'm paying her for a full 30 minute service including walks, play time, feeding, and etc. I recently set up a web cam to watch my puppy while I'm at work and discovered that for the past two days, my dog walker has been coming in for 5 minutes only! She did not walk the dog, she only filled out her daily notes and simply left. I have caught it all on web cam.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What can be done? Of course she will be fired. I'd report her to her boss, but she owns the company. I am extremely upset. Are there any other actions I can take to make her pay for her actions? Now I do not know if I can trust any dog walking service.

Thank you
Old 09-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I don't think I could trust a dog walking service either. YOu did a smart thing setting up the web cam. If I were you, I would try to find someone that I know. Maybe you've got a friend that just needs a little extra cash.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Show Dog

If you want to sue her or something like that, I think you have grounds. I mean you have it all on video and if she signed something saying that she stay 30 minuets with then dog, I would sue. However, that is just me. Let us know what you decided to do. Good luck and find someone you can trust, or maybe just let them know that you have a web camera set up watching what they do.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Felurian

If you have a written agreement with her you should have recourse in whatever court handles small claims (usually under $15,000).

If you decide to do this, let me know and I'll try to walk you through it as best I can. Different places have different court systems, but most operate in roughly the same way. I can usually look up state statutes for different states as well.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Renee - not to get off subject (I tend to do that a lot ) You are an attorney in Tennessee? I work for some attorneys in Nashville. I was just curious because I noticed you were from Tennessee. I am in Antioch right outside of Nashville. Where is White Pine?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Felurian

No, I'm not an attorney, but I am a paralegal and legal investigator - have been for well over 15 years. White Pine is about 30 minutes east of Knoxville down I-40.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Active Pup

I talked to my doorman and he told me that he has never seen her take the dog out once!! Just incredible! I am not paying her for this week and I am demanding full money back. A lawyer friend told me that it will cost me $100 to file a small claims case, but it is not worth it. I've only paid her $108 so far...It would be nice if I can justify the cost of the web cam in the claim. Telling the judge that I spent money on the camera because I was suspicious. Then it would be worth it. If I do not take this to court, my lawyer friend is going to help me bully her with his attorney title and his cool letterhead This girl cannot be too bright if she thought she'd get away with this. The web cam is directly in front of the puppy crate and hard to miss. And of course the doorman would notice her. I'm hoping we can intimidate her into reimbursing me.

What can I do to let others know about her and her company? Someone told me about BBB but her company was not listed there.

Thanks everyone for listening and for your advice! My own boyfriend is no help at all, telling me "these things happen when you hire help"
Old 10-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Felurian

Okay, first off - GREAT! You've got a lawyer friend who will help you!

Getting your money back will be a good start, but I just know you want to spread the word about her. Get your lawyer's advice before you do anything in writing or contact any vets or groomers to spread the word. You really don't want to open yourself up to a libel case. If your doorman is willing to back you up in any letters you might send, so much the better. How did you find her when you needed the service? If someone referred you they might want to know that you've had this problem. Just use your lawyer's advice. They really are useful. Everyone should have a pet attorney.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Active Pup

I only hired her because she is my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend. I thought having someone we somewhat know is better than a complete stranger. Boy was I wrong!She's also a vet tech and I fear for all the pets she works with! If she can be so inhumane to my puppy, I'm sure she's capable of much more. I've got to find out where she works and let them know.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Wolfpack

Exclamation Great responsability!

First of all.Don't get me wrong,I don't want to judge you or get you upset but if you knew you'd get a dog and that you couldn't be around him/her every time and HAD to hire someone to walk him/her and everything else...why did you get a dog in the first place?

A dog it's a very big responsability..It's like a kid when you get a babysitter...You HAVE to have time for them!The proper care for your dog is ONLY to take care of him YOURSELF.

Anyway, this is my point.Hope I didn't get anyone upset with this.
Kiss Kiss, Nicco