Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Default a tragedy that could have been prevented... gruesome story.. beware

I am just so upset right now. I HAD this friend who lived next door to me and recently moved. I've already lectured her about being an irresponsible pet owner. She only lived next door for a little over a year and had several dogs that she'd get and decide they were too rowdy or she just didn't like them so she'd get rid of it and come home with another one. I know she's had at least 4 or 5 different dogs. Then the dog she finally decided to keep she lets run loose who by the way chases PEOPLE and cars. She even nipped another neighbor who was jogging in the ass. I lectured her over and over again on how she needed to keep her dog contained. Then her declawed cat who she'd let rome around the porch and outside came up missing one day. So, you know that cat is dead cuz it can't defend itself without claws.

Well, now to the root of my being upset. She moved out about a month or so ago and left behind a kitten she just recently got from a shelter just prior to her moving out. Actually, it was right after she lost her other cat. She left this kitten behind and claimed it got loose and she couldn't catch him. We caught him and fed him and put him in their garage. Then they come to move some more stuff out of the house and let the cat loose again knowing we had caught him and put him in their garage. So, we caught him yet again and did the same thing... fed him and put him in the garage.

I stressed to her not to let this cat get loose. I told her to either find a home for him or bring him back to the shelter she got him from. We've been after them for SEVERAL weeks to take care of this cat. We've been feeding him because he got skinny as a rail. I even asked around to try and find a home for him but there were no takers. But it was their responsibility, not mine to find a home for this cat.

Anyway... she just came over here the other day to say hello and yet AGAIN I reminded them how the cat is hanging around my house and getting up into the truck motor and how we have to spray it with a hose to get it out and how much of a nuisance and safety issue it was. They humored me and said they would take care of it just like they did the several other times they said they would. But of course they didn't.

So, today we've been painting and doing home projects ALL day long and forgot about dinner. My hubby was just gonna go to Mcdonalds and grab us a bite to eat. My daughter was standing on the front porch as my hubby started the truck and then it happened.

I was in the computer room and heard screaming. I looked out the window and at that moment I saw the cat drop from the truck engine onto the driveway. Blood was spraying everywhere and the poor cat was convulsing and it tried to run away. But the fan blade tore the cat open from stem to stern and the poor thing suffered and took it's last breath in my driveway with my daughter standing there. My husband feels awful because he forgot to check the motor for the cat. I am traumatized at what I saw. The cat did not die instantly. It was a horrid tragedy that was 100% preventable. This will forever be etched in my mind.

I was so upset and angry that I sent her a nasty email and told her she was irresponsible and pointed out how this was THEIR fault. I also went one step further to bag up the cat and have my hubby put it on their front porch. I told her she could come and bury her own **** cat since it was her fault it was dead.

Am I a terrible person for doing that? I am just so incredibly upset right now. It tore me up to know that poor cat suffered like that. I HATE people who just get pet after pet after pet and don't take care of them. Pets are completely dependant on their owners and there is just no excuse for this. This incident has ruined our friendship. I can not be friends with someone who let this happen. It was not fair that my family and I had to deal with this. I hope she has so much guilt that it eats her up inside.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry you had to go through this because of stupid people !!! Could you go to the Humane Society and register them as bad owners ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Twin 2.0

Yeeee...poor kitty!

I think it's rather grusome, and I question why you didn't just take the kitten to the shelter, but whatever. Yes, she should have come and collected her cat, but after the first few times of being ignored, I think you should have either adopted it or taken it to the Humane Society. Kittens always get adopted.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

she kept telling me she was gonna come get the cat that they were gonna keep it after all. I told her I was gonna take it to the shelter myself but she kept insisting that she was not abandoning it and that they were just getting settled into their new place and she'd come back for it. I thought I was doing her a favor by taking care of him until then. And I can't adopt it.. I have my own cat, a puppy and a dying adult dog. I just told her two days ago if she didn't make an effort to catch the cat and take him with her or find a home for him that I would catch him and take him to the shelter whether she wanted him or not. We just hadn't been able to catch him the past couple of days. We tried to trap him with food.. but he got too clever and would run away. I hope you aren't insinuating that this was in any way MY fault. I did everything I could for this cat.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

well first off, hating her for it will only make you feel bad. forgive her and move on, though Im not saying to tell her you forgive her, just help you and your family move on. dont contact her and if you see her, ignore her.
that said, that is horrible and that woman should be put in jail for that. at the very least she should never be allowed to own an animal ever again.
no you are not a terrible person, you have every right to be upset about this and to blame her. she is the terrible person. just dont let the horridity of this person get you down.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM
no touchy

If she kept "ditching" the cat, I'd just take it back to the shelter. That poor cat didn't deserve to die that way .

But she was irresponsible to leave an innocent little cat out alone without anywhere to go really.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Here's a copy of the letter I sent her on email:

I just wanted to thank you so much for leaving me with this horrid memory of how YOUR cat died. Not only did I have to see it.. so didn't Arielle and TJ. This was a totally preventable tragedy. I told you guys SEVERAL times the cat was hanging around our house and getting up in the truck engine. I even caught the cat a few times for you because you said you couldn't catch it, and what happened... the cat got loose both times we caught it for you.

That poor cat suffered like you wouldn't believe. That fan blade tore him open from one end to the other and he as he fell from the motor his poor little body shook all over as he TRIED to run away as he lost all of his blood in my driveway. Arielle stood there screaming and crying because she saw this happen. And now TJ will have the guilt that he killed the cat because he was the one that started the motor up.

There's one thing I have no tolerance for and that is people who own pets and don't take proper care of them. This cat was abandoned and left to fend for himself. I understand you had to move and could not take him... but there is no excuse on this planet for why you could not take him back to the shelter you got him from or find him a home.

You know how I am with animals and this horrible event will forever be etched in my mind and that is so not fair to me or my child or even my husband. If I sound cross at you it is because I am. I am very disappointed in your lack of concern for this cat. You should not be allowed to have pets if you can not take care of them and provide a safe and happy home for them. Pets are totally dependant on their owners to provide these needs for them... and you failed this cat miserably. Your cat is in a bag on your front porch in case you want to see how badly he was hurt and suffered. I am not going to bury your cat.. that is your responsibility.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Could you go to the Humane Society and register them as bad owners ??
That is a great idea! If possible once you get over the initial shock of what happened, it would be a good idea to keep her from ever adopting another pet and having them suffer the way all of her others did.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this terrible ordeal. My thoughts are with you.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Twin 2.0

No, I"m not in any way insinuating this was your fault. Sh*t happens sometimes and this was one of those times. Good email, let us know how the lady reacts.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

no this isnt your fault. personally after knowing how she had been with other animals I probably would have taken it to a shelter, an out of town shelter that doesnt use petfinder.com so she couldnt reclaim it. but you were trying to help her out and be a nice neighbor, that is understandable. hindsight is always 20/20 and we can all say that in that situation we would have done something different, but we werent in that situation and you cant say that you would recognize a situation as "that kind of situation" until you have been through it. we are reading about something that has already happened so its easy for us to see how things could have been done differently. dont blame yourself and anyone who lays the blame on you is not thinking things through very well and truly putting themselves in your shoes.