Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Show Dog

Default "Sit!" (Old School Way)

This is an alternative way I learned to teach a dog or puppy the "Sit" command. The reason why I call it the alternative way is because I rarely see it used to teach a puppy the "sit" command. The reason why I call it the old school way is because I learned it from an old video tape a long time ago. But be warned, because it's old, it may not no longer be one of the proper ways to teach a dog the "Sit" command. So before you try this, talk to an experienced dog owner or dog trainer about it.

Now, I suggest anyone whose method of teaching a puppy or dog how to sit isn't working, give it a try.

Step 1: Get a treat or some dog food. This method works better if your dog doesn't always have access to food or before you feed your puppy or dog.

Step 2: Let your puppy or dog sniff it, maybe even lick it, but DO NOT let him or her eat it. This is to get your puppy or dog's attention and interest. (Substituting a toy for Step 1 might work as well)

Step 3: Say the "Sit" Command, and gently but firmly place your index finger on one hip and the thumb on the other hip and press down. Remember, just enough pressure so your dog will sit.

Step 4: From step 3, once your dog is sitting, give him or her the treat or toy and say "Good boy" or "Good Girl" or give praise.

Step 5: Once your dog is standing again, say "Sit" and repeat what's in Step 3 and 4. After five times, your puppy or dog should sit at your command.

Step 6: Once the puppy or dog gets your command, you can throw in hand signal, however, make sure you use the hand signal the same time you say "Sit".

Notes:
1)One thing I noticed about this method is some puppies are dogs may sit "unevenly". Unevenly as in their hips are not even. I have no idea how to correct this and anyone who tries this method may want to talk to an experienced dog owner or trainer about it.
2) Another thing I noted about this is it takes a few secs for the dog or pup to actually sit after command is given. It may be that the puppy didn't fully respect me as pack leader or that the food I held was not interesting enough. Not sure.

One more thing:
If this method of teaching "Sit" is indeed out of date and out of wack, I apologize. I just wanted to share it with you guys.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Resident fainting goat

I was the same way, thats how I always taught dogs to sit when I was younger

but later, I learnd that sometimes putting that kind of pressure on their hips (even just a little) and forcing them down is not a good way. plus.. dogs dont really "get it" as fast.

I like to hold a treat in there, right above the dogs head, and then slowly move the treat back towards their butt.. that will make them sit down then treat!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

That way might work, I know people who do that. I don't prefer it for a few reasons. One is because you are pushing on the dog which often results in the dog pushing back instead of sitting. Another thing is when physical manipulation is used dogs are often not aware of their actions. They didn't think about sitting down and then do it, you did it for them so they didn't have to. For this reason it sometimes takes longer than letting them think about what they need to do to make you reward them and then experimenting with their own behavior. If you do it on an older dog they may not appreciate their hips being pushed on as older animals often get sore joints.

if it works for you then that's fine, so long as you're not really pushing down on the dog's hips which could harm him. It may not be the way I prefer but I don't think it's harmful or anything like that.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
I was the same way, thats how I always taught dogs to sit when I was younger

but later, I learnd that sometimes putting that kind of pressure on their hips (even just a little) and forcing them down is not a good way. plus.. dogs dont really "get it" as fast.

I like to hold a treat in there, right above the dogs head, and then slowly move the treat back towards their butt.. that will make them sit down then treat!
Thats a good method and if one form of a treat does not work try a higher value treat.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
This is what I do. No pressure, at least not on a puppy. On an adult dog, maybe some butt taps.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

IME, the easiest way to teach a sit is to capture it. Most dogs sit on their own at some point...or can be sneakily set up to sit...and as soon as they do, mark it, huge reward...they're likely going to do it again after a huge reward.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-26-2010, 03:51 PM
orange iguanas.

Isn't that how a lot of people do it anyway? I don't know maybe I just need to meet some new people lol but physical manipulation seems to be the popular option. Before I really started participating on this forum and actually -reading-, that's how I taught Lucy... I had no idea how else to do it. Same way I tried teaching her to lie down, I'd pull her front legs out... but they weren't that effective and thankfully I've learned better ways.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
<----Thanks Allie

haha, I can't even *touch* Muffin. That is one way to not only finish a training session before it even began, but also end on a bad note. Don't get me wrong, he loves to cuddle and be pet.... but he does things because he wants too, and not any other way.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
IME, the easiest way to teach a sit is to capture it. Most dogs sit on their own at some point...or can be sneakily set up to sit...and as soon as they do, mark it, huge reward...they're likely going to do it again after a huge reward.
This is how I do it too. It's slower in the beginning, but you don't have to fade out a lure and in the end the dog really understands that it's his behavior that got him the treat.

I do this to teach down, too. It's always funny to me to hear people say that they can't teach their dog to lay down, since dogs HAVE to do it at some point. Again, it often takes a while in the beginning, but in the long run it's definately quicker than other methods.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

I've always taught "Sit" one of two ways: Sometimes the way Fransheska described and other times the way Corgipower described. Which way, for me, depends on the dog and how they respond. But with either, it's never taken more than a few repetitions to teach "Sit".

I have never used any physical manipulation to teach "Sit". It bugs me when I see people repeatedly pushing a dog's butt down to try to teach "Sit". For a puppy it's possible (maybe not probable but possible) that it might hurt them. For an adult dog (like a rescue that had no previous training) it's not necessary at all ... because it's so very easy to "catch" an adult dog doing a "Sit".