Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't know if they win or not, but if the dog doesn't win simply because of it's ears being natural that makes me a bit sad but it's not my breed so who am i to say.
The official description of the Doberman Pinscher is, in part, that the dog is a compact, squarely built dog and athletic, fast and powerful. He was bred to do a particular type of job (protection) and unnecessary apendages flopping and hanging off him were considered detrimental to that job and not to the standard for the breed. It is still that way here.

As far as the comment about made in God's image. Does "God" have floppy ears? LOL. If you consider how humans have manipulated dog breeds for a very long time, how they've bred dogs who have serious health issues due to anatomical manipulation through selective breeding, I don't see how that can be considered to be made in God's image either. There are loads of examples, but one that always comes to my mind first is the English Bulldog and other bracheocephalic breeds. How about the huge dogs that are way bigger than the proto dogs and that wind often up with horrible back and hip problems and very short life spans, not to mention all the other diseases most breeds are so very prone to.

In other words, to pick out one small facet of human interference with "God's image" of himself, with floppy ears, and ignore the vast number of health issues created at the hands of humans seems a little incongruous to me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I think you have a great outlook on it though Mandy - you don't like cropping, so you don't own a cropped breed. I think if more people thought along the same lines, the dog world would be a much less dramatic place.
I figure fighting an actual health issue in my own breed is more important and hewing and hawing over something so trivial (not trivial as in doesn't matter, i just think it's less important of a debate than something like trying to weed out health issues and genetic diseases) in a breed that isn't mine. Not to mention as much as i love the look of the Dobe, i couldn't do the crop; therefore they're not a breed i'd own. If you don't like the look of the dog (and it's not a health risk to the breed) get a different breed, end of story.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlerubyallie View Post
and leaving a natural eared puppy to go home with an owner who has to find a vet to do it themselves can (and very often does) lead to a very messy experience - like poor Wrigley's.
Exactly - and I feel so bad for poor Wrigley and her owners. She's a great dog, and her owners are phenomenal people - VERY good dog owners. They deserved far better than what they got in the ear department. It's really unfortunate... I so wish Wrigley's ears matched her personality, and matched her owners' level of dedication for the cute little dog.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
If you don't like the look of the dog (and it's not a health risk to the breed) get a different breed, end of story.
This stands to be repeated, good post.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

If I wanted another Dobe and one fell into my lap that happened to have natural ears, I'd still love to have the Dobe. The ears don't change the Doberman's personality or loveability. (is that a word?) LOL. But given a choice, I'd choose a cropped Doberman. They're still beautiful, athletic and wonderful dogs. But they do take a lot of involvement and an experienced owner. They are a lot of dog.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
<--------Orson

I guess this is another thing that comes back to the 'responsible breeder' issue. For awhile, I nearly got hooked into thinking only breeders who show their dogs are 'responsible breeders' I am not of that mind set any longer.

To me, health and temperament above all else. I don't show, won't ever show, so I really don't care about that. Yes, I want their dogs to be sound structure wise, but what I REALLY want is longevity and temperament.

Do they health test?
Are their dogs stable mentally?
Can they point to some dogs in their line with good longevity?

If the answer to those questions are yes, then I would consider buying from that breeder. It might not be the popular choice around here, but as you said..........a breed riddled with so many health issues, THOSE are the things that matter most to me for peace of mind.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I guess this is another thing that comes back to the 'responsible breeder' issue. For awhile, I nearly got hooked into thinking only breeders who show their dogs are 'responsible breeders' I am not of that mind set any longer.

To me, health and temperament above all else. I don't show, won't ever show, so I really don't care about that. Yes, I want their dogs to be sound structure wise, but what I REALLY want is longevity and temperament.

Do they health test?
Are their dogs stable mentally?
Can they point to some dogs in their line with good longevity?

If the answer to those questions are yes, then I would consider buying from that breeder. It might not be the popular choice around here, but as you said..........a breed riddled with so many health issues, THOSE are the things that matter most to me for peace of mind.
Yes, but how often do you actually find a breeder that does ALL of the health testing needed, proves their temperaments are Dobe temperaments, and have great longevity...that don't show or work?

I don't believe you'll find a pedigree that contains only WAEs, TTs, WACs, LCs, and BF-Ls, without any BHs, CHs, CDs, IPOs....you know what I mean?

I'm not saying that only show breeders are reputable - I know some that are not. But a good breeder WILL be doing something with their dogs, to prove themselves.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I personally prefer the "look" of natural ears, but I'm not very educated on the subject.

Great posts, Sizzle. I'm learning.

For some reason, I think Kaylee's crop is the most pleasing to my eye I've ever seen.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I agree, some show crops are over the top - honestly, most Foxfire dobes have ears that are waaaaay too long for my tastes. Kaylee's crop is *almost* too long, but she's an extremely elegant bitch - her ears fit her well. She'd look unbalanced with shorter ears. Ronin and Rocket have shorter, wider ears - both slightly different, but they're BOYS - their crops fit their heads and bodies very well - that's the beauty of having a true expert crop ears.
Yes those are the dobes I was thinking of! Not a fan of that look.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

I just feel sad if I Dobe is picked best of breed because of an ear job . Cosmetics shouldn't enter the picture . They should be judged on form and movement .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/