Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Coop! You do have a Doberman, don't you? I kept thinking, who else has a Dobe?? D'oh. Coop!

/me raises hand

Coop and Toller already covered it very well.

I will just add that any dog that I have met that has cropped ears LOVES having them played with. That is my Doberman's FAVORITE thing ever. She will go for ear rubbins before a treat.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh and definitely you make sure you find a GOOD vet to do the crop too and make sure you can get some recommendations. I have seen so so so many bad crop jobs. They look terrible.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Coop! You do have a Doberman, don't you? I kept thinking, who else has a Dobe?? D'oh. Coop!
LOL, It's MY fault........I haven't posted ANY picture evidence in quite some time
Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
petperson

A very informative and thought-provoking thread. I've always been opposed (though I love the look of cropped 'n docked Dobes), but now I realize that was a knee-jerk reaction. I thought it was MUCH worse on the puppies than it seems to be. I don't know if I'll change my mind, but at least there's information here to mull over.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

I don't presently have a Doberman, but have in the past, as you can see in my avatar. I lost him to cancer a couple years ago.

Normally, the breeder gets the ears done and normally, an experienced breeder knows a vet who specializes in cropping. My breeder asked me if I wanted a show crop, a pet crop or a working crop. (I think it was called) I wanted a show crop. Anyhow, Lyric's ears turned out beautifully.

When he and his littermates were home after the procedure, my breeder told me if anything, they itched a little because the pups would lean into the cotton ball she used to clean them with...rather than moving away, as would be the case with pain. They wrestled and knocked into each other and were not fazed by any crashing into the ears, at least not to any marked extent. Within about 7 - 10 days, the sutures came out and the little bit of scabs came off. (remember, this is cartilage) The cleaning and posting is what is the hassle.....at first until you get pro at it.

Very soon, as long as I used treats and made into a pleasant enough procedure, Lyric would hold nice and still (learned the "hold-it" command, which doubled for other duties. lol) and soon he would sleep through the post-changing procedure...if he were lounging on the couch. (do this after the pup has had some exercise) It was just another bonding experience we had and a start to a very trusting relationship, where he trusted me to do all kinds of things that had to be done to him.

It is very important to keep them clean, change them every 4 days or so and do not leave them to air out for very long in between post changing. In fact, if you need it, I can find a link to a good, informative, instructional site for posting.

The one thing I changed after a very short time was the type of tape I used. That can be painful as it rips out the hair on the outside of the ear. So, I used paper tape and then vet wrap over it. BUT....it is exceedingly important to use caution with vet wrap and stretch the living daylights out of it first before using and be careful not to wrap too tightly....even undoing it half an hour later and re-doing it so it doesn't get too tight and cut off circulation. But it was so nice to hold the thing in without causing him any pain with the tape.

As for tail docking, that's not even an issue. Their nervous systems aren't even finished in that area at the early age that they do it...2 to 3 days old. No pain. Crying yes. But that is probably due to being taken from their mothers, not pain. Some breeders use banding rather than cutting, which I think is every bit as good, if not better. They don't even notice it. And Dobes have thin, whip-like tails without much fat or fur and let me tell you, they wag them furiously. So, prevention of injury this way is infinitely better than the risk of what can be serious injury later and amputation at an older age is vastly more traumatic and frequently problematic with re-opening of the wound, persistent infections etc.

So, there. You have one more opinion from someone experienced with cropping/docking in Dobermans.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Lord Cynical

I prefer cropped ears on Dobermans. I've had three dobes of my own, all with cropped ears. I've cared for numerous more, they all had cropped ears too.

That said, I've also done my fair share of FIXING ears that have been messed up by the all-to-common combination of poor crop job + poor aftercare + novice owners.

IMO, if the breeder is giving your brother the option of natural ears (and your brother is in America or Canada), then your brother has far bigger things to worry about than ears. Most (think 99.999999%) responsible breeders in North America crop every puppy they bring into this world, before any of them go to their new homes. And if the breeder is the type that offers a choice... well, I vote for natural ears. Because chances you're not going to gt a crop like this:

Or this:

Or this:

.... you're most like to get something like this.

And there's a chance your brother will go through what that poor puppy (pictured above) owners went through. Bad crop, stupid vet, necrosis, a midnight trip to an anti-cropping emergency vet that actually made things WORSE, frantic posts to a Doberman forum, horrible guilt and mental anguish... and eventually a caring person in Iowa that helped save their wonderful puppy's ears. They're not perfect, they're not particularly attractive - but I saved the ears and got them standing. I wish I didn't have to help people with problems like this, but until people do the responsible thing and get their puppies from responsible breeders who have their puppies cropped by expert cropping vets.... it's still something I know I'll end up doing from time to time.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 PM
<--------Orson

Leaving out necrosis and/or other serious medical issues from poor after care, also which leaves scaring and/or ears not standing, not everyone thinks those long show crops are attractive to be fair and honest.

I personally don't, I prefer the look of a shorter crop...........NOT short, just not that extremely long. A nice medium length crop suits my tastes perfectly.

THAT is another reason you should request to see examples of the finished work for that breeder and the vet they use. The length and style should be considered according to your own tastes not necessarily that of the breeder IMO.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

What today is considered a good crop ??? Some I personally feel are too high and pointed . Is there a standard show wise ? Coop , I like those ears !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
What today is considered a good crop ??? Some I personally feel are too high and pointed . Is there a standard show wise ?
Depends on the breed and lines. Personally I like shorter crops generally. Some show crops are getting a touch too long for my taste. The only breed I'm really interested in that is cropped has an extremely short crop job that doesn't even require posting. I would likely keep it natural though.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Great post Sizzledog. Some very important points made.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson