Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Cropping Ears?

Now that my brother is adding a doberman to the family, we have been faced with this question from the breeder.

We used to have one when we were younger and it had cropped ears. That was back when we had the lovely life of no jobs, not having to take responsiblity for pets, and alllowing our parents to make all decisions. He really likes that look but we keep hearing the experience is quite a traumatic one for the puppy.

How much of this is true? Is it really that horrible to clip the ears/tail?

Go ahead and just be brutually honest. Hehe, I can handle it. I just need some educated opinions.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I think you will find convincing arguments both ways. It has been a very heavily debated topic on this forum for as long as I can remember. I for one am against it, Unless you live in S. Africa and have these crazy trees that split a dog's tail. haven't seen it with my own eyes, but Puppydog swears it's true.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 03-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

You will get a very divided response on this. Many people feel that it should continue because it is beneficial for a dog doing it's job/working. In the case of a doberman, a protection dog, cutting the ears and the tail removes things that could be grabbed onto. Some believe that it's not a painful procedure for dogs.

Others feel that it is an outdated practice that has been proven unnecessary in many European countries, or that the risks of a long tail/ears aren't enough to justify the pain of the procedure.

If you do a search for "crop" or "dock" on here, you'll find several REALLY long threads on the subject. It tends to get very heated.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 03-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

I can understand the pros and cons on tails , but I love natural ears .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I can understand the pros and cons on tails , but I love natural ears .
I do like natural ears but, on dobermans at least, it is a complete different look. I would perfer it because it makes them seem so much more noble and sweet, in my opinion, but I can see why my brother like the other look as well.

What are the cons and pros? Or how can I search it on this forums without going through every thread.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I think you will find convincing arguments both ways. It has been a very heavily debated topic on this forum for as long as I can remember. I for one am against it, Unless you live in S. Africa and have these crazy trees that split a dog's tail. haven't seen it with my own eyes, but Puppydog swears it's true.
But then wouldn't any other part of the dogs body be just as in danger of getting cut as their tails?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_bella View Post
What are the cons and pros? Or how can I search it on this forums without going through every thread.
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t99819/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t103166/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t94430/

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Puppy Dog

Thank you so much!!!

Off to do some reading... (:
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

Both of my Dobermans are cropped, and I'd absolutely do it again. I was with both litters before, during, and immediately after cropping, and I wouldn't really call it a traumatic experience at all. The most "traumatic" thing the puppies went through during cropping day was the effects of the anaesthetic. They whine and wiggle and move sort of erratically as they're waking up (just like any other dog I've had under for anything else), but as soon as those effects are worn off, the pups are up and trying to walk around and play with their littermates. The majority even eat about an hour after waking up, and all are eating by evening when they're all back home. Because the ear was cut, the pups shake their heads a bit and attempt to scratch at their new cups on their heads, but not because of unbearable pain. I can't say that it's not a uncomfortable for them... I'm sure it is to a certain degree. But mostly they just seem itchy when they do happen to think about their ears. By the next day they're running and playing and wrestling together like nothing ever happened. And if one puppy happens to hit a sensitive spot on another puppy's ear, then that puppy lets the other know to back off a bit. And then play resumes.

Proper aftercare is a major aspect of how the puppies are going to feel after ear cropping. If the breeder isn't doing a good job of cleaning up the ears and helping them heal, then for sure, the pups are going to experience some pain. But if the breeder is diligent in proper aftercare, then the pups really couldn't care less. Also, veterinary experience makes a big difference too. Only vets experienced in the art of cropping should be cropping puppies, because they know what they're doing. There are too many vets out there who say they can crop a dog and the dog comes home looking like it's been butchered... not a good thing.

Anyhow, that's just my feelings based on my own experience. I used to be on the fence about ear cropping before I got Dobermans. Now that I've been around a few of my breeder's litters, and helped to raise the last one, I don't see what the big deal is anymore. I'll always be pro-choice... crop if you want, don't crop if you don't agree with it. But don't force others to conform to your idea of what's wrong or right, especially if you have zero experience with the prodedure of cropping.

As far as tails go, it's not uncommon for a lot of dogs to injure their tails when they whip it too hard against something. I've seen quite a few tail injuries on dogs with similar tails to what a doberman would have, just because they hit it too hard against things as their tails aren't protected by anything and the dog is strong. Lots of Danes I've met have had their tails amputated at an older age, as well as one Dal, because they injured them too badly. Not saying that this would happen to every Dobe with a tail... but it's a possibility.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

Many here feel that pros are avoiding tail injures and the cons are the pain they go through with docking . As to Dobes , we all love the elegance of well cropped Dobe or Boxer , but that's what we've been brought up seeing . I now admire the natural look too .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/