Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Active Pup

Default Reputable Dog Trainers in Calgary?

I would like to enroll in some dog training classes with Bowie, and am wondering if anyone can recommend some reputable trainers in the Calgary area.

What I'm kinda looking for:

- A trainer who uses positive methods (absolutely NO Cesar Millan/Brad Pattison type trainers, I don't think many in the forum approve of their training anyways, but just laying it out on the table.)

- One that can walk Bowie and I through the basics but I also am interested in doing some amateur agility classes with him.

- Bowie is a good dog and learns fast, but he had a bad puppyhood and was abused, so he's a little shy. I would like to work with someone to learn how to bond more with him and bring him out of his shell.

Also, what are the opinions of trainers training in your home as opposed to a class setting?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Diamond in the Ruff Calgary Dog Training

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

I think Dr2little (her name is Colleen) is in Calgary. She used to be a member here, but hasn't been around in a while You can do a search of her posts to get an idea of her training methods, I think you will like her methods. She does classes and private appointments. However I don't think she does agility stuff but she might be able to recommend another trainer who does.

I think class is best for people who want to learn how to train but don't need a ton of one on one time and who have dogs that can be comfortable in a class environment and are capable of learning there (some dogs may be too fearful or may get so worked up that they ruin the class for others). Private appointments are best for dogs who don't fit in that category and/or who have behavioral problems pertaining to the home (like barking when someone comes to the door or chasing the pet cat). Or just for anyone who wants more one on one time. Class is great for socialization if you have a pup though! For more advanced dogs it's a great way to add distractions to your training.

Here is her website: Diamond in the Ruff Calgary Dog Training

ETA: lol Corgi posted while I was typing

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
We are Home.

x3!!!!!

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Water Junkie

x4!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Active Pup

4 votes for Diamond in the Ruff! Great guys, thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at her website and will be contacting her soon to join one of her classes!

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

X100! I miss having her post here