Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Water Junkie

Default Those that show

I was reading Puppydog's thread about how to lose at a dog show, and the last line made me wonder.

We've all said not all judges are good at picking the best dog/s to win. We've all heard people say that "My dog was a better example of the breed compared to so and so, but for some reason the judge didn't pick my dog" So has anyone here ever placed (or won) during a show when you clearly saw there was a dog better than your own? What did you do? Did you take the win?

Just curious after reading that thread.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm All Ears

No, not really. I've seen some cases where Beau and another dog were pretty much equal in terms of quality and it really just depended on judge preferences (their 'type' was very different but both were to standard) He was the only dog that Beau ever lost to in his class. And the other dogs we were up against for BOB were well known specials who were gorgeous. So it never bothered me when he lost, honestly. I always felt like the specials deserved BOB.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

That is a very good question! It has got me thinking. If I thought another dog was better then Travis (sadly, that happens a lot) I don't think I would hand the win back. After all, the judge is more qualified then me :P

It is a moral dilema though. Travs type is not my favorite. I MUCH prefer the more sturdy, coated English lines. Travis is a gorgeous dog, very petite and has a lovely colouring. His head worries me though, I don't really like it. Ben was so much prettier.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
It is a moral dilema though. Travs type is not my favorite. I MUCH prefer the more sturdy, coated English lines. Travis is a gorgeous dog, very petite and has a lovely colouring. His head worries me though, I don't really like it. Ben was so much prettier.
I actually prefer Trav's type, honestly.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I actually prefer Trav's type, honestly.
Yep, I know. It is amazing how a dog can be 100% to standard but yet of such a different type. Don't get me wrong, he is a beautiful boy. I just like the blockier heads.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Puppy Dog

If you felt your dog was not the best when entering the ring then why would you even continue if you weren't going to "take the win"? I've never ever heard of anyone not accepting a placement that has been awarded.

It's all about the judges opinion. People can and do disagree with their choices all the time lol! Judge "A" may beleive movement is a more important quality than type where judge "B" puts more importance on type.

Jennifer
Tailcreek Mastiffs - English Mastiff breeders in Alberta Canada - Home
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I personally wouldn't show a dog that I didn't plan (or at least hope) to win with. Some people with low entry breeds will 'stack' the shows (i.e. enter poor quality or older dogs) to ensure there are enough points for their 'good' dog to win. Granted the winning dog may be a wonderful specimen, but it doesn't really count (to me) if you're beating your own 'leftovers'.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
ACoops favorite

Here is my opinion:

Winning does not a great dog/bitch make. I've seen judges put up some cardigans that make me flinch when I see them move. Clunky and horrid looking! And ONE special looked like a pembroke mix- not that Pemmies are bad, but they're NOT cardigans!

I've seen judges put up some dogs because they're big and pretty with out thought to structure while the "nicer" dogs go over looked because perhaps they are smaller or not as flashy.

It's subjective, because judges are people and therefore falliable.

Anyway, My mom one time showed a bitch that was really out of coat. I mean... REALLY out of coat. Mom took her in to get her the practice. She was up against some really nice bitch from up north who was in coat and moved like a dream.

The judge put up mom's bitch because she preferred a keeshond bitch with little coat over one with too much coat.

BTW- in keeshonden, there's no such thing as "too much coat." You can have a bad coat, but never too much.

So, in that case the bitch that should have gone up did not.

I don't really have a point with this answer I just realized... but if you can find one let me know LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Resident fainting goat

Romeo only has a couple of points, and I never personally showed him. I think hes a beautiful chi and really does have a lovely personality

but in our conformation class and in practice rings, he really doesnt shine like he does in other situations. So even tho I think the other chis might not be as pretty as him, I can tell they love what they are doing more and really shine.. and I think they deserve to win.

Also, we do our conformation class for fun... he is really NOT the type of chi that many judges like. Some judges LOVE HIM, they have come to see the class and just adore him.
Others think his head isn't domed enough and his snout isn't long enough.. it happens.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Sprayin' the spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailcreek View Post
If you felt your dog was not the best when entering the ring then why would you even continue if you weren't going to "take the win"? I've never ever heard of anyone not accepting a placement that has been awarded.

It's all about the judges opinion. People can and do disagree with their choices all the time lol! Judge "A" may beleive movement is a more important quality than type where judge "B" puts more importance on type.

Jennifer
Tailcreek Mastiffs - English Mastiff breeders in Alberta Canada - Home
^^This.

Rocket is my "type" of Doberman, and a very nice one at that. I have yet to see another Doberman at a show that I say "That dog is nicer than Rocket." Granted, my showing experience is limited, but I always think Rocket is the nicest dog, even with his faults.

It just depends on the judge that day. I'd never refuse a placement - it's hard enough being an owner handler in a professional handler world, and that judge thought you were worthy that day. I'd take it and run!

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach