Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Victor and mary go to the humane soceity clinic ..they receive their heartworm there 5 dollars each and you can by monthly if you need to..Mary's eye surgery where they removed a cyst (she is 12 btw) from her eyelid and one that was deep inside of the lower lid for 35 dollars. AND that was having her under sedation as well. The clinic is run by the best people..i have always been able to get in if we had an emergency like Victor's runnin a stob up the inside of his leg for about two inches..or being neutered which ran 40 i believe. Everything is not for profit and that is why i take my donation each year seriously, giving them my very very best. They saw Aaron's cat when he tore a huge chunk out of his leg. It had to be stapled and stitched..10 dollars. That including the anitbiotics. They can do this because of donations like ArtUnleashed..30 thousand dollars this year. This way i KNOW my dogs are getting the best of care and will never suffer from an error of judgement on my part. I would never forgive myself if i "treated" for something and was wrong. OLd boss always said you can learn something from everyone..even beginners and to always keep an open mind. I want to know the New procedures. The better medicines..but then again i like to learn.
It is a shame that you felt my post was rediculous. That is your opinion..and i am entitled to mine as well. I hope you are never wrong with your dogs or your own health. I have seen too many people at field trials and oh my the stories where someone thought they had the answer and it wasn't the right one.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Manchesters

Default Geeesh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
To each his own ... I thought on one post you advised getting getting all the tests for hips,heart ,eyes etc ??
Yes I do......for those breeds that need those tests done to ensure health.

Quote:
You do this too ???
Well now, just what hereditary conditions do Manchesters have that they should be tested for? And bear in mind, I have not bred for 7 years.

Quote:
Also, I thought you said your puppy's had health checks 3 times from vets before they left you at 12 weeks ??
And just where on God's green earth did you hallucinate that???

Quote:
Also, I thought you slept in a chair at night, because of your bad back.
And your point here is................what?????????????

Quote:
Also, since my dog weighs 90 #s, only his head lays on me at night, or a paw draped over me.
Sooooo???? Get a smaller dog.

Quote:
And sorry , I leave his heart issue up to his wonderful vets. They rate the changes, and will tell me when it's time for a implant....which is something I wouldn't be able to do....I'm not a heart surgeon .
And this dog is from YOUR breeding? Just when did you find out about the heart disease in the line??????

Quote:
My goldens lived to be 12 and over...your manchesters should be living until 16 or over.
That is not a long life. But if they have cardiomyopathy that was never tested for, that would cause a shortend life.

Quote:
Glad you help so many on this forum...I listen to you , but trust my vets for their once a year check ups. The rest I treat myself.
I ask or expect NO ONE's trust. I expect people to verify for themselves anything I might say. Of course most of what I say is my opinion, based upon what I have done over a period of 30 1/2 years.

As far as longevity in a breed, there is also the bloodline to be considered. A breeder should realize that. Grandma Piper died from the killer type of cancer at about 13.....the typeof cancer that starts on the jaw and then runs rampant thru the dog. Grandpa Jiggs died of cancer at about 12 years of age. Kelly, my b!tch died at age 12. Janet, Kellys mother died at 13 due to her heart suddenly stopping.

They live long enough to suit me.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Manchesters

Default No.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Victor and mary go to the humane soceity clinic ..they receive their heartworm there 5 dollars each and you can by monthly if you need to..Mary's eye surgery where they removed a cyst (she is 12 btw) from her eyelid and one that was deep inside of the lower lid for 35 dollars. AND that was having her under sedation as well. The clinic is run by the best people..i have always been able to get in if we had an emergency like Victor's runnin a stob up the inside of his leg for about two inches..or being neutered which ran 40 i believe. Everything is not for profit and that is why i take my donation each year seriously, giving them my very very best. They saw Aaron's cat when he tore a huge chunk out of his leg. It had to be stapled and stitched..10 dollars. That including the anitbiotics. They can do this because of donations like ArtUnleashed..30 thousand dollars this year. This way i KNOW my dogs are getting the best of care and will never suffer from an error of judgement on my part. I would never forgive myself if i "treated" for something and was wrong. OLd boss always said you can learn something from everyone..even beginners and to always keep an open mind. I want to know the New procedures. The better medicines..but then again i like to learn.
It is a shame that you felt my post was rediculous. That is your opinion..and i am entitled to mine as well. I hope you are never wrong with your dogs or your own health. I have seen too many people at field trials and oh my the stories where someone thought they had the answer and it wasn't the right one.
It was your senarios that I said where ridiculous. I have taken care well in advance of anything and everything to cover any and all contingencies. And there are people who have "networks" to keep track of each other.

I am beginning to think that having a carefully bred purebred helps to ensure a healthier life for both owner and dog, lol. And my dogs live in an environment designed especically for their safety at all times. There is nothing sharp around for them to impale themselves upon nor wires for them to chomp. Etc, etc, etc. And I am with them 24/6. And I only sleep for 1 hour at a time. If anything exciting happens with the boys outside, and I happen to be dozing, the girls alert m immediately. They are such little tattletales, rofl.

I am sorry you have had so much difficulty in your life. I have been blessed, I guess.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm a bit late, but dude, that's nuts! That dog....wow...I don't know so much about putting her in Harry Potter though. That's a serious deviation from the book and that's a big no-no in my world.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

Guess it's time for your 1 hour nap , Manchester ....sorry I don't agree with you and I would NEVER own another Toy Manchester or any other small dog as long as I can have my goldens ! I can admire them owned by others, but I personally like bigger dogs. And no, Chip is not of my litters... though related . This is something not hereditied . Nite nite !
Old 09-19-2005, 01:39 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Get a smaller dog? What a pathetic remark. THAT is ignorance at its best right there.

You said previously in this thread that you had double fencing then turned around and said you had triple fencing. WHICH ONE IS IT? try to keep your stories straight

You are nothing but a bitter old woman who has nothing better to do than sit around and complain about every single thing you see. Is there no joy in your life? You sure don't show it on here. Such anger you have. Try being happy for a day.

BTW nobody cares how much money you spend on all your wonderful gadgets. Seems that you cannot have an argument without tossing money into the mix. Money does not make a responsible owner. Sorry about your luck.

I thought you posted a thread earlier saying that you were no longer going to give advice or your opinion because it wasn't appreciated. What happened to that? It lasted all of what... half a day? Seems to me that thread was posted all for the attention. Boohoo. drop the pity party act. You think people dislike you because of your self proclaimed genius status when in reality they dislike you because you are a snide bitter woman who gets pleasure out of talking down to others.

I'm sure your response is going to be along the lines of "Don't hate me because I am smarter than you. I know everything and you know nothing. blah blah blah" It's the same song and dance everytime you post. Get new material.

I think I speak for a good number of people on this board when I say GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. I don't care what you think you know or who you "know". If you know all of this how come you are not a doctor or a vet? You have all this knowledge yet you sit at home all day and do nothing with it. WOW good for you. here's a medal. Do you need a chest to put it on as well?

I think you should go back to the promise you made before about not speaking. It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt This reminds me of you. Everytime you open your mouth nothing comes out but a bunch of self righteous garbage. MAYBE that is why you are alone.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Kelpiefied

I'm sure MC has some valuable knowledge, somewhere, deep inside the mass of vanity and arrogance! It's funny, to know more about behaviourism than an animal behaviourist (despite not even knowing what a reinforcement schedule is) to know more about vetrinary science than a vet. "But, but, Im old! I'm older than you and I'm a breeder and I have experience" I think you should remember, time served on the earth doesn't mean you grow in mind.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Top Dog

Im not trying to get into this debate...i did just want to make one comment though...

MC....you pretty much dedicate your WHOLE time to your dogs. And that is just great (no sarcasm) that you can do that. I would be quite happy spending my days with oakley...but that is just not a reality for most people. I am assuming you are retired...so you have that freedom.

I could probably rightly guess that the vast majority of dog owners are NOT in your situation. It seems as if you think that not being able to spend all day with your dog, and not knowing everything there is to know about dogs makes someone an irresponsible owner. That is pretty rediculous in my opinion. I admire that you know so much...but an average dog owner cannot be expected to know that (although it would be great if that info could magically just be available in everyones brains, lol)

Many of us have lives other than our dogs. I have to go to school, others have to work, or take care of their children...

if only "truly qualified" people could own dogs...then barely anyone would own one, and there would be millions of dogs dying because they have no home...

i think a dog is much better off being loved by a family, even if that means the dog has to be alone while his/her owner is at work, or develops health problems due to a wrong diagnosis by a vet, etc....vs a dog that is on the streets...

anyways, i was getting sick and tired of seeing posts that implied in one way or another that people who dont know as much as you do, or people who cannot spend as much time with their dogs as you do, are inferior to you, and therefore, bad owners.

And i dont think encouraging people to self diagnosis (whether you meant to or not, in my opinion you are) is the best idea. You cant just read a book and understand something. While i do know many vets are 'just in it for the money', there are many who arent. I really like my vet. I took Oakley there the day after we got him, just so he could meet the vet. I didnt want something to happen, and the vet not have ever seen oakley before, and have NO idea what his normal behavior was, or anything like that. anyways, i am just saying...not everyone is capable of rightly identifying a major problem...thats why there ARE vets. If everyone could so easily learn everything there is to know, i think they would all be out of business.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 09-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Manchesters

Default Well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza
Im not trying to get into this debate...i did just want to make one comment though...

MC....you pretty much dedicate your WHOLE time to your dogs. And that is just great (no sarcasm) that you can do that. I would be quite happy spending my days with oakley...but that is just not a reality for most people. I am assuming you are retired...so you have that freedom.

I could probably rightly guess that the vast majority of dog owners are NOT in your situation. It seems as if you think that not being able to spend all day with your dog, and not knowing everything there is to know about dogs makes someone an irresponsible owner. That is pretty rediculous in my opinion. I admire that you know so much...but an average dog owner cannot be expected to know that (although it would be great if that info could magically just be available in everyones brains, lol)

Many of us have lives other than our dogs. I have to go to school, others have to work, or take care of their children...

if only "truly qualified" people could own dogs...then barely anyone would own one, and there would be millions of dogs dying because they have no home...

i think a dog is much better off being loved by a family, even if that means the dog has to be alone while his/her owner is at work, or develops health problems due to a wrong diagnosis by a vet, etc....vs a dog that is on the streets...

anyways, i was getting sick and tired of seeing posts that implied in one way or another that people who dont know as much as you do, or people who cannot spend as much time with their dogs as you do, are inferior to you, and therefore, bad owners.

And i dont think encouraging people to self diagnosis (whether you meant to or not, in my opinion you are) is the best idea. You cant just read a book and understand something. While i do know many vets are 'just in it for the money', there are many who arent. I really like my vet. I took Oakley there the day after we got him, just so he could meet the vet. I didnt want something to happen, and the vet not have ever seen oakley before, and have NO idea what his normal behavior was, or anything like that. anyways, i am just saying...not everyone is capable of rightly identifying a major problem...thats why there ARE vets. If everyone could so easily learn everything there is to know, i think they would all be out of business.
Of course we are all entitled to our opinons....even if they are baseless, rofl. Yup, I am retired. And before I retired I devoted all my available time to the dogs. 24-8=16 hours a day devoted to the little darlings. The 8 hours I was gone, they were asleep in their crates, listening to classical music. So they really didn't miss the absense of my presence, lol.

As far as self diagnosis.......if you ever spend any amount of time around dogs, you will find out that there is just so much that can go wrong with a dog's health. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what a problem might be. And if I am not sure, I will call my vet and tell him what is going on, and what I plan on doing to make sure he concurs. HOWEVER, except for old age tumors, my dogs are the picture of health.

If one of them breaks a bone, or gets a cut, I will take then in for treatment......only because I cannot do stitches myself.

And even tho the vet's know I am a breeder, there little front office people do NOT, and will hand me their crapola about the dog needs a blood work up, yada yada yada. I just look at them and tell them, "No thanks". I am polite and don't tell them what I am REALLY thinking, rofl.

If you want to run to your vet all the time......go for it. BUT, the only place my dogs will ever encounter parvo, or distemper and parasites IS IN THE VET'S OFFICE!!!! So, thank you......I will stay the he|| away. Just why do you people think my dogs ARE so healthy, huhhhh? Maybe because I don't EXPOSE them to anything!!!??
Old 09-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Manchesters

Default Lots Of Naps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Guess it's time for your 1 hour nap , Manchester ....sorry I don't agree with you and I would NEVER own another Toy Manchester or any other small dog as long as I can have my goldens ! I can admire them owned by others, but I personally like bigger dogs. And no, Chip is not of my litters... though related . This is something not hereditied . Nite nite !
I wish. I was working on this computer till about 4:30AM. Had installed PC-Cillin back on Friday, and yesterday was going thru the baloney of the stupid computer shutting itself off about every 25 minutes. I finally threw in the towel, and did a restore back to before installing the PC-Cillin. Fortunately I only paid $7.98 for the PC-Cillin!

So you wouldn't own any other small dog..........well that is your perogative, for sure. I had Dobermans for 23 years, and from time to time a Greyhound, and I prefer the Toy Manchesters for personality and sweetness, as well as their size. I like have the little beasts piled on top of me---really comes in handy in winter, rofl. Like having living hot water bottles you can put where ever you need them.

As for heart problems........that is one problem that Manchesters don't seem to have. One of the reasons I became depressed with the Dobes was that every year they were finding new horrid health problems. Cardiomyopathy was bad enough, then came vWD. There already was the CVI and CHD. And the susceptibility to demodex. So, after my 13 year old male had to be put to sleep, I stuck with the Manchesters and Whippets.

To each of us his/her own, as they say.