Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
i've put up video a couple times. that pretty much refutes every claim this "research" paper has made.

but i am not "pro" ecollar. I just hate it when I see junk paraded as some sort of proof then repeated and repeated and repeated like it's some sort of truth.
One time a friend gave me what I thought was a zippo lighter to use. I opened the lighter and went to light it but instead of it lighting it gave me a shock and my reaction was that I threw it across the room. I could imagine a dog going through the same thing except not having a way out of it. The videos I have seen of dogs with a shock collar failed to have the instructor demonstrate the collar on himself first. Do you know of any that are like that to where the instructor uses it on himself first and then puts it on the dog with the same setting.

The only thing I seen that came close was when a person that was using one on their dog and had to call Victoria Stillwell in for training. She demonstrated the shock of the collar on the dog owner's arm and at the lowest setting the dog owner did not like what it felt like. Victoria then promptly threw it in the trash.

The only time I seen a shock collar as an effective tool and used in the proper fashion was in the following video.

YouTube - Doritos Super Bowl Commercial Dog Bark Collar Revenge

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

well then I guess hitting children and wives to get desired results are ok as well. After all, it works and the person seems happy when not being hit...so it must be ok. NO wait...I'll PINCH them instead because thats not painful, its just uncomfortable.

Iam not 100% against them, if it will save a life, but to teach basic behaviors

Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 PM
THE Dog Class

Default It was a reasonable request

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
To the OP, not wanting a National Debate? How could you post such as request on a dog forum and not expect it turn into one? When this is such a highly debated and heated topic?
I can post such a request expecting it not to turn into one because I asked a specific question for studies - not for individual's opinion. In fact, if you review the original post, I even wrote: "Not just anecdotal reviews (or "In my opinion)."

I asked for research for a particular reason. I didn't expect the old "it works /it's abusive" opinions - not that I mind them, it's just the emotional tone that everyone seems to need to take - and they are non-responsive to the original post. The responses, sans one, have not responded to the post. Sorry to have angered you by making the request in a dog forum, but perhaps you have a better idea as to where I might find the answer?

Again, I don't mind the discourse, but to imply that I'm the one that created the debate and emotional level, when my origianl post was clear is a bit unfair.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

there is a search feature on this site...type in "ecollars" and you will get threads with many links
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

You can do your own research just as many of us have. But here's one of many well done articles. Herein also contains other recommended readings as well. There have been many studies done if you need them to realize that shocking a dog with electricity has the potential for serious fall out.

http://www.dogsportmagazine.com/wp-c...th%20Shock.pdf

Here's something else:

Training dogs with help of the shock collar: short and long term behavioural effects. | Schilder, M. B. H., Borg, J. A. M. van der | Applied Animal Behaviour Science | Elsevier Science B.V.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieG View Post
I asked for research for a particular reason.
Since you are requesting others to do your research for you (you're welcome, by the way ), care to share that "particular reason"? Just checked your original post again, and it seems you did not mention any particular reason.

But did notice you entered "THE Dog Class" under your user name. Starting a new training class and/or facility, per chance? If so, it's surprising if you did not already know that electronic shock collar usage is a rather controversial topic. I do not believe Adojrts was trying to insult you in any way ... it was more of a "what did you expect?" reply from a very experienced trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
You can do your own research just as many of us have. But here's one of many well done articles.
And here's another.

http://www.4pawsu.com/IAABC_Ecollar.pdf
Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM
THE Dog Class

Default Thanks

Thank you for answering the question and the references. Sorry to have been such a bother. Guess I'll look elsewhere next time.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieG View Post
Thank you for answering the question.
Does that mean you're not going to answer mine?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
THE Dog Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenRetriever View Post
Does that mean you're not going to answer mine?
Sigh. Yes, I'll answer, no problem. I had a customer who asked me the question regarding "research." Of course I knew of the controversy, and the pros and cons, and yes, I could have taken the time to have done my own research, looking through website after website of articles - most of which are not research papers yet are opinions - pro and con - or sales ads. But, I am new to this site, and figured, "I'll bet I get an answer pretty quickly from people here and save some time." Unfortunately I assumed that the forum was one that would be a bit more collegial (and congenial). It seems to be more like an angry mob at a healthcare meeting.

Yes, I assumed. We all know what that means. My bad. Jeez.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

Oh relax, and quit taking everything so personally. This forum is very collegial, and quite congenial as well. No, we do not all agree with each other on every single thing. But most of us have fairly thick skins and for the most part can agree to disagree when needed.

(Provided there's no overt animal abuse, of course.)

HOWEVER ... had you lurked here for a bit (or did a forum search) before posting, you may have seen that there's very good reason here to be a tad bit suspect of a new member who's very first post somewhat clandestinely inquires regarding a heavily controversial topic.

Wecome to Chaz, BTW.