Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM
THE Dog Class

Default Shock (E-collars)

I am looking for some research articles on the use of shock collars in dog training. Not just anecdotal reviews (or "In my opinion), but some scientific studies of the effectiveness versus other methods. Anyone know of any? Thanks.

Marie
THEDogClass
Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

http://www.ust.is/media/ljosmyndir/d...hockcollar.pdf
Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

This is a good find. Thanks for the link.

From Conclusions and recommendations

Quote:
We concluded that shocks received during training are not only unpleasant but also painful and frightening. Furthermore, we found that shocked dogs are more stressful on the training grounds than controls, but also in a park. This implies, that whenever the handler is around, the dog seems to expect an aversive event to occur. A second unwanted association might
be that the dogs have learned to associate a specific command with getting a shock. Apart from the acute pain and fear, these expectations may influence the dog’s well being
So with the above being painful and fearful to a dog why would anyone want to use one?

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Thanks, I should have posted it before, been in my fav's for sometime now. And I print it off and give it to people instead of debating e-collars, let the research prove it
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Just try me..

I really like that article (thanks for posting it) just wish it had less bias in the paper. It gives people who want to hang onto their e collars an 'out'.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Why would anyone want to use one? I always seem to read that one should use a shock collar because nobody has the time to use real training. Sad, don't you think, considering your dog is going to be with your for ten or more years.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
So with the above being painful and fearful to a dog why would anyone want to use one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Why would anyone want to use one? I always seem to read that one should use a shock collar because nobody has the time to use real training. Sad, don't you think, considering your dog is going to be with your for ten or more years.
There have been MANY lengthy discussions about the pros and cons of e-collars on this forum.... I hope we can keep this thread on topic and not re-hash all of those discussions again.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

the people that want to "hang" on to their ecollars have an out, because that paper is very biased, it can hardly be called scientific, and a scientific mind can see it accounts for very few variables, and those handlers who had fearful dogs could easily end up with dogs like that without the collars. But i guess that can be ignored when your only bias is to prove how evil ecollars are.

again, I put my use of the collar on here long ago. And somebody wants to tell me I don't do "real" training with my dogs? I'd love to see yours
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Puppy Dog

Very one sided with limited "study" group.

Yes the collars can be used for horried things, but they can also be used properly to have a happy, stable, well mannored, off lead dog.

Equipment is not good or bad (IMO) it is the human behind it that makes it so.

I would be interested to see if anyone can find a "study" that supports the proper use and training with these collars and the end result.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Just try me..

Actually you DO get those results with 'proper' use. Just sit and really watch an e collar trained dog work. They do show lowered ears (compared to when not working) Dogs trained with lots of leash corrections do the same though. Its not the e collar per se, but punishment based training that makes dogs show signs of stress.

Even people who do use these methods that I know will admit that it does stress the dogs some. They just feel that the stress is worth the 'faster' results.

I was not against them till I saw them in actual and regular (and yes proper) use.

This study would be fine if the writing style showed less bias.

(and yes I would show you mine...RTH)