Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Schutzhund/dog sport?

Hi! I have a 2 year old Boston Terrier who isnt that great around a lot of other dogs. I would really like to do agility with him but I dont think that would be possible with how he is towards other dogs. I have been looking into Schutzhund/dog sport though because it looks like a fun and interesting sport. I know that it is typically a german shepherd/rottie/belgian breeds etc sport but have seen videos of a jack russel doing it. Does anyone know any information about this or anything?

THANKS SMEXYPIBBLE FOR THE SIGGY!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Schutzhund is a lot of fun!

No reason a Boston can't do the training. He would have difficulty with competing in it though, because of the size of the dumbbell and the size of the jump and a-frame.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

To each it's own ~~~it doesn't appeal to me .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Puppy Dog

lol not too worried bout the jumping aspect, he jumps onto my 4 foot high grooming table from a sitting position with no issues. and ya the dumbbells might be an issue. I just have to find a club that allows other breed types. I figured it would be a sport where it would not only be fun for him but different because he gets bored easily. He has TONS of energy and tons of drive, he loves to hang in the air from the tug rope. Plus I figured it would help with his obedience and being more in tune with me and such.

THANKS SMEXYPIBBLE FOR THE SIGGY!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

We have dog reactive dogs in my agility class. There is a strict "no playing" and "no sniffing each other" rule in class. The dog does a run, is leashed up, and waits on the sidelines while the other dogs go. There really isn't any interaction, unless a dog completely loses focus and wanders to the sidelines, but it's pretty easy to avoid. Many people bring crates if their dogs are comfortable in them and crate their dogs when they aren't running.

If you have a trainer locally, I'd contact them and let them know what your dog is like, and see if the trainer is comfortable working with you!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I have a dog who has some fairly big issues with other dogs, and agility is the best thing that has happened for her. She is infinitely more comfortable walking through a huge crowd of dogs at an agility trial than she is walking by random dogs in other settings.

One of my favorite things about agility people is that the majority keep their dogs well under control. Anyone who has been in agility for a while has seen more than their share of dog or human aggressive dogs. Nobody reaches out to your dog without permission, nobody lets their dogs sniff yours or come running up to them. Meg has learned that she is safe at trials despite the huge number of dogs, and as a result, rarely reacts at all. If you are interested in Schutzhund, go for it, but don't let dog-to-dog issues deter you from agility if you want to try that!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I thought about that for my sheltie, Ruckus
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Just try me..

Another vote for try agility if its something that interests you. Lots of dog reactive dogs play agility. As long as you pick venues where its not too crowded or the ring is fenced its pretty safe. (and a lot of fun)
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Your Mom

I had my first agility trial two weeks ago and I was worried because my Teeny is reactive. WELL I shouldn't have worried She was under control and didn't have to meet any dogs face to face. I asked that the next dog not be allowed in the ring until after she was done with her run, and people kindly complied. And there were a couple of other dogs there that were extremely reactive/da but were under control. As long as you have control on your dog agility shouldn't be an issue.

Not that I'm dissing bitework, since I train in it and love it, but don't give up on agility too quickly!!

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Plus One

Add me to the list of people with reactive dogs that are fine at agility. We were at a trial last Saturday and it was great he reacted once while we were watching the dogs running so I simply took him away to walk around. Only thing was our class was cancelled