Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Default Just got back from the e-vet... *sigh*

Well, I came home from work to find my pajamas in the middle of the bedroom floor, ripped up and half eaten. Hubby got home about 4:00pm. He let Morgan out of the crate, fed Morgan dinner, and then sat down on the couch for a brief nap. I came home about 5:30pm, Hubby and I both found the PJs at the same time. We had Morgan at the e-vet shortly after 6:00pm. He wasn't showing any symptoms, but we were hoping we caught this early enough this time to take some quick action.

We had x-rays taken. Nothing in the intestines. You could still see his dinner sitting in his stomach, but it was hard to say how much of it was PJs... or how big the pieces (or piece) were. The doctor wanted to hospitalize Morgan for two days and pump him full of fluids in hopes that overhydration would wash everything through his system. We asked if it would hurt to induce vomiting, since it was clear from the x-ray that everything would still be in his stomach. The e-vet said it might not work if the piece was too large, but it wouldn't hurt to try, so we opted to try it first.

Thankfully, it worked! Poor guy lost his dinner, but the pieces of pajamas came up, too. It also confirmed that the pieces were shredded pretty small, so even if there is anything else in there (which the e-vet doubted with the drug they used), they should pass easily.

Now we are home again. Morgan is having quiet time for an hour or two before we let him have a little bit of water. Then he'll be on a bland, soft diet all weekend. He should be fine.

He's still feeling kinda icky and sicky right now. You can tell he's still a little drugged and out of it. It's been a rough couple of hours on all of us. I'm just glad were lucky to have another happy ending.

Oh Morgan, stop scaring your mommy!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Bored Now.

Goodness... Morgan, STOP scaring your mom or I'll bring out the stave when you get better!

((((HUGS)))) I'm glad everything went alright, though. Gah. I can't imagine going through that. Middie just drags my clothing into piles to snuggle with. He's never tried eating it.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

Naughty naughty Morgan, you didn't learn from the last time did you?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Goodness... Morgan, STOP scaring your mom or I'll bring out the stave when you get better!

((((HUGS)))) I'm glad everything went alright, though. Gah. I can't imagine going through that. Middie just drags my clothing into piles to snuggle with. He's never tried eating it.
The Kitty Boy Brothers like to carry around laundry for cuddling purposes, as well. Honestly, they may have something to do with how Morgan got into the PJs in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Naughty naughty Morgan, you didn't learn from the last time did you?
Clearly not.

The convo on the phone with the e-vet was kinda funny, though.

ME: I need to bring my dog in for x-rays. He ate some clothing.
E-VET: What type of dog is he?
ME: Lab mix
E-VET: ... *laughs* I really don't know why I bother asking that question when I hear "my dog ate something"
ME: Yeah... *laughs*
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Obey the Toad.

Thank goodness everything is OK!

Jack is a laundry eater--he has eaten 4 socks (not all at once) that he either passed or vomited up but he also ate a pair of panties whole that ended up in bowel obstruction surgery (and a $1200 vet bill).

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Thank goodness everything is OK!

Jack is a laundry eater--he has eaten 4 socks (not all at once) that he either passed or vomited up but he also ate a pair of panties whole that ended up in bowel obstruction surgery (and a $1200 vet bill).
Morgan ate part of a beach towel just before Christmas. We didn't figure out what happened until he started acting sick and mopey. He ended up with emergency surgery to remove it. Ugh. So yeah, I know. NOT FUN! I'm just glad we didn't have to completely repeat THAT experience.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Oy, bad Morgan!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Boy I'm glad that all's OK !
Luckily my girl's labs never ate materials . Were you happy with the e-vet ? Is this the Airport one that MRAH recommends ? Luckily I'
ve never had to use them !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
Morgan ate part of a beach towel just before Christmas. We didn't figure out what happened until he started acting sick and mopey. He ended up with emergency surgery to remove it. Ugh. So yeah, I know. NOT FUN! I'm just glad we didn't have to completely repeat THAT experience.
I know this is going to sound kind of strange, but we treat socks, underwear, etc like they are Jack poison in our house. If we are dealing with laundry at all, Jack is crated are in another room completely...

He still finds ways to eat random crap though (and sometimes literal crap--lol). He'll eat a piece of fuzz or something off the floor and be coughing on it all night. Gotta love labs and lab mixes!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Boy I'm glad that all's OK !
Luckily my girl's labs never ate materials . Were you happy with the e-vet ? Is this the Airport one that MRAH recommends ? Luckily I've never had to use them !
We actually go to the VCA at 86th & Michigan. We used to go to the airport e-vet but it's just so much further away! VCA is a touch more expensive... but I can get there quickly in an emergency. The people were nice, though I was rubbed the wrong way a little by how the doctor was pushing for the two-day stay at the hospital before they even did the x-ray... Oh well.