Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Furminator question?

Ok I found this question in the furminator website and was wondering if his was true or not. I am getting Teagan clipped, but if this tool would help me keep her hair more wiry and course I could purchase one. I just wanted to make sure first because they are expensive.

Quote:
Q. Does the FURminator Shed-Less Treatment work on terriers?
A. Yes, and in addition to removing the undercoat and loose hair, the treatment also offers some additional benefits for terriers. Terriers have a naturally coarse coat, and many of the show dogs are hand "striped" to keep this texture in their topcoats. But using a clipper "softens" the coat, which is not desirable. Using the FURminator deShedding Tool on a regular basis, however, will help retain that coarse terrier coat on dogs that have had their hair trimmed with clippers. Schnauzers can also develop a darker color "stripe" down their backs from clippers. The deShedding Tool will help eliminate this "stripe" and help return the coat to its original color.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

I haven't needed one, but I've heard from others that they are wonderful. One of my vets sells them. Why don't you call a few vet's offices and ask if they have them, if so, if it works on a terrier coat.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Yes, but be careful. Too much can strip a dog bald. I worked on my long-haired cat for a while and she ended up missing a little too much hair.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Fishies!

I find it only pulls out what is already loose. But to be fair, I have pulled all the undercoat out and found the outercoat a bit thin. But the Furminator didn't remove it.

With hand stripping, you're not really pulling out live hairs, but pulling out fairly loose hair. So it shouldn't result in any bald spots.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Sport Model Pug

See if any stores have one to test out. I keep a tester Furminator for customers to try out before they invest that much money into it. Try Tail Blazers or Pet Planet, they're more likely to have a tester than Petsmart. Or even check with groomers.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmexyPibble View Post
Yes, but be careful. Too much can strip a dog bald. I worked on my long-haired cat for a while and she ended up missing a little too much hair.
Yeah, I kind of made a bald spot on the clinic cat that way before
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I already actually bought one right after I posted thing. I have not used it yet and it is still in the package. I can still take it back even after I use it. So I guess we will see what happens.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Top Dog

You can also talk to your groomer about whether it will work with your dog's fur, they should know.

I've used a furminator with a lot of dogs, and I've noticed that you really have to have just the right fur type for it to work well. Unfortunately I've never tried it on a wiry terrier.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

I know you said you already bought one, but for anyone else, look at Amazon. I got it there for $20, when petco was selling it for $60.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

They come in three sizes, the large one is a lot more than the littlest one.