Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
overdogged

personally, i wouldn't use one unless i truly had to. the idea of high volume, assembly-line surgery makes me worry. i'd certainly be asking questions first- does my pet get his own sterilized-just-for-him surgery pack (some places re-use surgery packs), does he have somebody monitoring his anesthesia at all times? what kind of monitoring does he get? iv catheter? bloodwork? pain meds?

are all of those things truly necessary for all pets? probably not. most pets come through spay/neuter surgery just fine, even when corners are cut. but some don't. and it's when something goes wrong that it really matters what kind of hands your dog is in.

ymmv.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

We used one for the cat a couple of years ago. The reason we went there instead of my regular vet was the cost. Almost a $150.00 difference. Where I took Hazel, they only did a limited number of spays/neuters each day. Only so many cats and so many dogs.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
personally, i wouldn't use one unless i truly had to. the idea of high volume, assembly-line surgery makes me worry. i'd certainly be asking questions first- does my pet get his own sterilized-just-for-him surgery pack (some places re-use surgery packs), does he have somebody monitoring his anesthesia at all times? what kind of monitoring does he get? iv catheter? bloodwork? pain meds?

are all of those things truly necessary for all pets? probably not. most pets come through spay/neuter surgery just fine, even when corners are cut. but some don't. and it's when something goes wrong that it really matters what kind of hands your dog is in.

ymmv.
I asked all that at the one I went to. Both dogs were supervised the whole time. And they only accept a certain number of dogs per day, to make sure corners arent cut.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I know several people who've used them, and more than once. I've gotten shots for the rescues a couple of times. I feel it honestly depends on who is doing them. One I've been to was like an assembly line. No interaction or health checks just slap them on the table and run them down the line, jab jab jab, pay, done. I'll never go to them again
But the other one, the vets actually cared, took their time, seemed to enjoy helping the animals. I've recommended them to others, always heard pretty good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
I have used them for cats/kittens but never dogs.

But the one I usually use here picks them up and then takes them to a local vet that volunteers to do it that day cheaply. Don't know if I would do a dog in the bus type situation though.
*nods* My Mom used them for her cat. I know several people who've gotten their dogs fixed through them, and have nothing but good experiences. Actually, they did a much better job than the vet that did Missy's spay when we got her from the fremont dog pound. And at about 1/4 of the price.
But, personally, the main guy has horrible people skills

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

We have one in town that I've not used (I work at a vet, thus get a decent discount) but I've not heard of any issues with dogs done there. They do take only a limited number of patients per day, so it is not a mass of animals with no one to monitor them. I've seen their surgery notes on dogs who come to the clinic I work at for other issues and they seem thorough. The surgeries are done by a vet who donates their time.

I'd just, as above, ask their practices..are their pre and post pain injections given, what type of monitoring do they do, etc.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Thanks guys.

Only clinic around is a 12-16 WEEK wait just for them to call you back and another few months after that to get an appointment so I doubt that is going to happen. Was curious about the options though.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Come down here and stay a week.

Join us when the poodles go. LOL.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

All my animals (save one cat and one dog) were done at the HS just like the clinics are (same doctors, probably doing the same amount of animals) they all made it out fine.

BUT you don't get the option of antibiotics or pain meds

if I had a "normal" animal, young, no sensitivities...I'd use one absolutely. I paid $100+ at a vet office for my cat and it was a nightmare...they wanted to vacinate him for everything under the sun AT THE SAME TIME, right before surgery... Som'times the 'in and out" "no questions asked" is better IMO.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Top Dog

Yep, I got the cats done for 10 dollars for one and 30 for the other. No problems at all. the staff was very nice, the place was clean, and I was happy.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM
tessa_s212

I've gotten V, a barn cat, and some other fosters done at two different spay/neuter clinics. Was about $35 for each.