Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Default Anyone Ever Use a Low Cost Spay/ Neuter Clinic?

I still don't have a vet. Rate this is going I'll never have a vet I like I don't think. People from dog sports praise their vet and then I don't get the same answers to things that they do.. which is the reason they love their vets.

I'm starting to contemplate taking Smudge's parts. We have a low cost clinic, but I don't want anything to happen to him. On the plus side.. if all they do are spays and neuters they are awfully practiced in them..

Anyone used one?

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

We've used a low cost clinic for 1 male dog, 1 female dog and several female cats. We've never had a bad experience. That's my feelings as well, they've done so many they should be pretty well practiced!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Aroooooo!

Yup. used one for both the beegs. Chance only went to a vert because I got a voucher for a free neuter through the county.

The ONLY issue I had was one of Baileys stitches didnt dissolve right and started coming out of her incision. We pulled it out and all was well. Didn't require us to take her back in or anything.

I have always had great experiences, partially I think because they cater to the people that may not be able to afford the TOP NOTCH stuff, but still care about their dogs, people are ALWAYS friendly, IMO

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
We are Home.

Thats all weve ever used and never had a problem same with the rescue I used to vol. for and the greyhound group.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I used them for rescues, and I've never had a problem with them. Actually, the only "complication" that was due to surgeon error I know of was a spay don't at a very expensive regular vet's office.

They are doing a lot, so they have a lot of expierence... but they're also not just some person of the street... they've gone thru vet school, and a LOT of them are regular vets who work at/own their own places but are just volunteering some time.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

I have not used one personally, but I know people who have and no one had any problem. The way they generally run (at least in places I have lived) is that area vets contribute their services to the low cost spay/neuter clinics. So it would seem it wouldn't be any less service then you'd get if you actually used one of those vets by going directly to their offices.

In some geographical areas though (like the one I live in now), low-cost spay/neuter clinics are limited to those who can prove they are low income. In other areas I have lived the low-cost clinics were open to all. I guess it depends on access to funding sources in any particular area. Might be something to check before deciding to use one though ... to find out if any particular qualifications are necessary. If you don't qualify then the decision is pretty much made for you that you won't use the clinic.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

I got Jose` and Lyric done at the humane society clinic. It was pretty darn reasonable. And I figured like you...they do an awful lot of spays and neuters. They are licensed vets, so I wasn't worried at all. Everything turned out fine. I think Jose` cost $17.00. Lyric was more, but I forget how much it was for him. But still less than a regular clinic.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

I personally wouldn't use one, only because of two bad spay experiences I've had in the past as well as my Dobermans' sensitivities to certain sutures. Those experiences were with an actual vet clinic, and not a low cost clinic mind you, but it still makes me overly cautious. I'm paranoid now about where I take my dogs for surgeries... even if just routine spays and neuters. That said, I have known people to take their dogs to low cost clinics with great results!

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

We've used the same low cost clinic for both Ozzy and Enzo, two of my sisters dogs, my brothers dog and my mothers dog, and we've never had a problem.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

I have used them for cats/kittens but never dogs.

But the one I usually use here picks them up and then takes them to a local vet that volunteers to do it that day cheaply. Don't know if I would do a dog in the bus type situation though.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber