Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm All Ears

3 and then 6 were the big leaps for us. I dunno that I'll have more than 5 at a time again.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Most of my life, I've had at least two, sometimes 3 or 4....a few years where I had just one. I love having at least two. They love having each other too and that's important to me. I'm fortunate that my dogs all get along...never had any problems that way. But yeah....more expense, a little more time spent on them when there are more. So, it just depends on each individual....how much they want to do. I know I'll never have more than two again unless it's a foster situation. I have 3 at the moment. But two, I think will be my magic number when Tokie goes back with my son in a few months. *cries* I'll miss her though. Two is relatively easy, especially when they're little dogs. If you feel like you're ready and everything is pretty well settled with your dog you have now, go for it. Good luck.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

I like having one, the only difference ive seen from when I had 2 was its SO much easier to take my dog everywhere, find someone to dog-sit, etc...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
overdogged

for me, going from one to two was huge. i love having multiple dogs, but it was a big adjustment.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

For the first month or so, we had to keep the two dogs seperate because they hated eachother. If they had gotten along from the start, I think the only different things (aside from the increased bills, etc) is that now there's two sets of bowls. :P Also, you have to get used to the new dog's personality and quirks.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Yorkie Love

Everyday is pretty much the same.

Expenses are obviously increased and traveling becomes more of a hassle.

It is harder to take two dogs then one... for example, there is only ONE airline that I can fly alone on with two dogs, it is harder to find someone to take care of them, carrying them in the bag is heavier with two then one.

But on an everyday basis there really isnt much of a difference.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Taxiderpy

One thing I noticed about having two boy dogs is they team up on not listening. lol. We have to make sure to spend a little time working with each individually.

Threw a girl into the mix and she has them both wrapped around her little dewclaw. Even with three it is really easy. Robert was just saying yesterday that when we buy a much larger house (ours is about 800 sq. ft.) he could totally see having 3or 4 borzoi, charlie, and a deerhound and a wolfhound. *does the victory arm pump*
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Top Dog

I think it depends a great deal on your current dog. Argon is DR, and I have to be very careful who I consider bringing in. When I agreed to foster Neon, my first foster, I was a little afraid that it wouldn't work out, and I was either going to have to return Neon, or practice crate and rotate in a 400sq foot apartment with no doors, except in the bathroom and the front/back doors
It worked out in the end, and I can't wait to foster again. If Argon had been more dog friendly, I would have worried less.
I didn't find cost to be that much more, and I was lucky that they were close in size, so I didnt' have to make up two different meals every day.
However, Neon had aggression issues, and Argon had aggression issues and I did sometimes feel that Argon got shortchanged, as he could be left alone in the apartment and Neon couldn't. Taking them out together worked fine for walks, but forget about it in some place like Petsmart. They both needed to be constantly supervised in polite company.
Of course, it isn't always like that. I took both of them knowing their issues and agreeing to commit to them. If they were both easier dogs, I don't think Neon would have affected the dynamic at all.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Felurian

As long as they get along, it is, I think, easier than having just one.

You will find yourself wondering if you're slighting one over the other at times, even though you aren't. Try to remember that they're different dogs and need different kinds and amounts of attention.

Sometimes you have to remember things like not leaving one's favorite toy or bone out if you aren't right there, and the bed can get a little crowded if you don't set down the rules about how much room you get from the beginning

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Animal Nut!

I have two Jack Russellís and I have to say double trouble. They are sisters, the only real problem I have is when people come over they just love people and jump on them. Itís hard to control both dogs. Personally I think there is a difference BUT only with high strung dogs. With Yorkies and poodles, ect, I donít think there would be much difference other then expense. But I do know it is tougher to handle two jack russells then one for sure. Thatís just my experience. It just depends on the breed of dog your getting.