Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Big Dog

Default Whatís it like going from 1 dog to 2?

So things have been going amazing with my current dog and now that Iíve had him for almost a year (canít believe how fast time flies), Iím starting to feel like Iím ready to add a second dog.

Whatís it like going from 1 dog to 2? I would really like to hear from people who work full time and bring their dogs with them when they travel on the weekends ect so I can get an idea of what itís like to take on the responsibility of another dog.

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm All Ears

2 isn't much more work than one imo. 3 is the big leap.

Of course there's more vet bills, more food costs, etc. But overall it's not that much harder to do things with 2 dogs. Everything I did just Summer and me is now Summer, Mia, and me.

Then again I've rarely ever had less than 2 dogs so having one was really weird for me. As soon as I could get another, I did. If possible I'll always have multiple dogs.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
petperson

Two's not much different from one, really. A little more call on the resources, but not a huge difference.

Three, now---hoo, boy, three's a killer!

And now that I think about it, adding number four doesn't seem to change things much either.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

I thought two was twice the work and a big difference and that once you get to three its not much more work

.......and now we have five

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Dog-Training-Outlet.com

Agreed. Two isn't a big deal besides double the expense... Goodluck!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

I've never had two on my own at the same time..but my cousin had two for a while and i remember it not being too difficult for her. I would imagine they would befriend one another. Three would be tough i would think though.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

I thought it was a piece of cake.. but I have 2 easy going dogs for the most part. But if I had 2 hyperactive dogs it would probably still be easier having 2 than 1 because they could wear each other out. I think it's more fun having 2. If your dogs get along well, then I think they're happier in the long run as well. I work full time, so I feel more comfortable leaving them at home knowing at least they have each other. When we went camping with them last fall it was a bit more work having 2 than 1 but it was doable AND way fun.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

I've never had 2! I went from 1 (for 8 years) to 3, then a few years later to 5. Now we're at four and it just seems much more manageable than five did. Maybe because at 5 we had a female JRT wanting to kill the female Rottie, and it was stressful. Plus, now the largest is 40 pounds.

One thing I noticed with our oldest (RB) Shadow after being an only child for 8 years and then bringing in more is that she developed some bad habits. The JRTs taught her that sleeping on the couch is okay and that tearing up stuffed animals is fun. I'd make sure the first is well behaved and all major issues are taken care of before introducing a second dog, that'd be my only advice.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I think having 2 is a lot more work. I think there are probably a lot of factors though:

Living situation - We were in an apartment, which is a pain in the butt. You have to go out more often for walks/potty breaks (anytime one asked to go out, we went, because we couldn't risk them messing in a rental unit!). They rile each other up, meaning you have to be extra careful about noise complaints. Space wise, I felt like I was always tripping over one. Now that I'm in a house, I feel like I could handle a second dog much easier (we have a lot more space).

Size/energy level of dogs - Two small dogs or two calm dogs is going to be relatively easy. My dog is a medium sized, high energy dog, so doubling that was chaos.

Trained-ness of dogs - Lucy has leash reactivity on walks, so it meant that walking both dogs required two people (I lived in a very busy area, where I didn't trust her not to lunch at cars or buses on our walks, and needed to put my full attention on her). I couldn't run with two dogs, because my fosters (the 2nd dogs) didn't have the leash manners.

Places you want to go - We visit my in-laws a lot, but they already have 1 dog. It was too much to put three dogs and 5 people in a small house, so we couldn't bring both dogs any more.

And of course, what other people have already talked about with money. Double vet bills, double day care or dog walker costs, double training costs, etc. Our lease has a pet deposit and pet rent built into it, which doubles with another dog (yikes).

Just some things to think about. I'd love a second dog (I think it could keep Lucy company!), but it really was a lot of work for me.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Water Junkie

It must not be that bad....because we have 4 now.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l