Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Just try me..

You will notice I never said I agreed with it. I am going by talking to others and what is said on the JRTCA site. So as a breed they are reactive, so so many take it as a cop out.

But regardless dealing with reactivity in a drivey dog is a little different than non drivey dog. Drivey dogs tend to be more reactive to stimuli in general than non drivey dogs.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Chili did not have any bad experiences except the vet. He had to have his skin tested and that involved a vet restraining him and taking a scalpel and scraping him until he bled, then repeating it in two other spots. This was repeated every few weeks.

By the fourth or so visit, he tried to attack the vet when he restrained him, i mean really like he meant it. Keep in mind this was a young young puppy He was only, I dunno, 10-13 weeks old at this point. They took him to the back and I could hear him screaming. The tech brought him back to me and he was all wet. They said he had expressed his anal glands and they had to wash him.

I never went back to that vet.

that said, I do feel its very largely genetic with him. He is a drivey drivey dog and high energy. The type I never saw myself owning.

When I started, I had to be hundreds of feet away from triggers. If he could see it, he'd throw a fit. He had exorcist head 24/7.

Thanks for the Kudos Lynn
Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 PM
We are Home.

Crios the vet did the same thing to walker when he was 4-5 mths old for a staph infection and it took a year for him to be able to even walk in the vet again. Thankfully I was in the same room though so i told the vet if he did it one more time I was going to do it to him.

But walker still cant go to a vet without a muzzle. Thats why we use shot clinics to get his shots.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
You will notice I never said I agreed with it. I am going by talking to others and what is said on the JRTCA site. So as a breed they are reactive, so so many take it as a cop out.

But regardless dealing with reactivity in a drivey dog is a little different than non drivey dog. Drivey dogs tend to be more reactive to stimuli in general than non drivey dogs.
Please point out to me where on the JRTCA site that it states that Jrts are reactive.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
Crios the vet did the same thing to walker when he was 4-5 mths old for a staph infection and it took a year for him to be able to even walk in the vet again. Thankfully I was in the same room though so i told the vet if he did it one more time I was going to do it to him.

But walker still cant go to a vet without a muzzle. Thats why we use shot clinics to get his shots.

Luckily, I think he only associated it with THAT doctor. So far it seems that way at least. I remember desparately trying to feed him treats when they scraped him, knowing it wasn't going to help once they got deep. I still cry when I think about it too much.

I was very very pissed. There was no need to scrape so many spots on him, and no need to do it so often. I do understand that dogs need to be restrained, but taking him to the back to do it makes me wonder what really happened.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

oddly enough, my Jrt mix is bombproof. Fireworks, guns, kids, animals. Shes a saint.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
We are Home.

The vet that did Walkers cut him doing it.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Omg that awful.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
We are Home.

Yea he blamed it on Walker for his struggling. I went off on him. I offered to hold walker during it. If i had he would have laid right there. But dude was a cat vet not a dog vet.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Please point out to me where on the JRTCA site that it states that Jrts are reactive.
(They don't often call it reactivity. But they do talk all over the place about dog dog aggression, which in many cases is reactivity. )

All from various places on the JRTCA website.

Quote:
Jack Russells can be very aggressive with other dogs, and in fact more than two should never be kept together unattended. There have been many instances of terriers being hurt, even killed, by their fellow terriers; even young pups over the age of eight weeks must be carefully monitored. It is imperative that prospective Jack Russell owners understand this part of the terrier's nature. Special facilities and handing are absolutely necessary when owning a Jack Russell, and especially when owning two or more Jack Russells. Their natural hunting instinct also brings out aggression towards other small animals
Quote:
... are often aggressive with other dogs. Same-sex aggression and aggression towards other breeds of dogs is well documented with this terrier.
Quote:
They can be very aggressive with other dogs (not just other terriers), and in fact more than two terriers should never be kept together unattended. There have been many incidents of terriers being hurt, and even killed, by their fellow terriers; even young pups over the age of eight weeks must be carefully monitored. It is very important that prospective Jack Russell owners understand this sometimes harsh part of the terrier's nature.
There is more but its pretty repetitive.