Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
ACoops favorite

Default getting started with making your own dog collars

Hey guys,

we have a huge festival coming up this summer, and I'd like to make collars to model on the dogs and maybe sell to support my dog sport addiction.

How do you get started making collars? What do you need, what types of material are best?

Just curious!!!

PS- I doubt what I make will be of the caliber made here by chazzers, but hey, even if I make $10 bucks I'll consider it a success.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

here are some great sites I found.

Sew a cute dog collar - Sewing - Crafts - Canadian Living

How To Make a Dog Collar

http://www.uberpest.com/collar.html

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

You can also make leather braided collars. They can be made simply like a choker, with a ring at each end. Or, make longer with a ring in the middle, so you slip it over the head, then the middle ring keeps the collar from choking.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Sport Model Pug

When i tried to start making collars the thing that hindered me the most was finding the hardware. Plastic buckle and the right size metal D-rings and that piece that adjusts size. I went to all 4 fabric stores and couldn't find the right sizes.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

You have to order them online. I can't remember where I ordered mine from, but there are places online. Search for things like D ring, buckle, ...
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
My dog tickles my soul

I got started because I could not find any interesting "boy" collars for Morgan, so I made a few for him, then got requests from friends (locally and on Chazhound), and have just expanded from there.

I actually figured out my design by going to pet stores and looking at how the collars they had were constructed. Then I had to experiment a lot to figure out the different sizes. Honestly, I'm still trying out different materials and hardware all the time to see if I can make improvements.

I order almost all my supplies online. As much as I would like to buy local... well... I just can't get the quality I like to have from anyplace local. And there are SO many options on the internet! Just shop around until you find a supplier you like.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
You have to order them online. I can't remember where I ordered mine from, but there are places online. Search for things like D ring, buckle, ...
Yeah that wasn't possible at the time, hence why i stopped making collars. I didn't have a credit card then as i was underage. Now i can get a credit card and order online. Once i start making home made dog treats to sell at the farmers market i might start a small selection of dog collars to sell too... We'll see.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Yeah that wasn't possible at the time, hence why i stopped making collars. I didn't have a credit card then as i was underage. Now i can get a credit card and order online. Once i start making home made dog treats to sell at the farmers market i might start a small selection of dog collars to sell too... We'll see.

I was actually able to find all the pieces I was looking for in the hardware store, but it's not easy to find them in bulk. (I think the only piece of collar hardware I could not find at all was the strap-keeper, which isn't really a necessary part anyway.) If you are planning only to make a few collars here and there it's a fair option, though. I'd check it out!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

oh wow! very cool ideas!