Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Vicarious Owner

Default Fading a Lure - from KikoPup

Greets!

KikoPup has been on my youtube subscriptions list for a while now, and her recent rescue addition reminded me of her other videos, such as this one:

YouTube - Dog training tip of the day- Fading a Lure (while teaching SPIN)

Good ideas, simply stated and demonstrated. Good stuff!

"Everything you can imagine is real." -- Pablo Picasso

STOP THE APOSTROPHICAL ABUSE! : http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Very nice video. The only criticism I have is that she is using a well trained border collie. You might not be able to fade the lure so quickly with a dog who is not schooled, or who is a dimmer light.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Very nice video. The only criticism I have is that she is using a well trained border collie. You might not be able to fade the lure so quickly with a dog who is not schooled, or who is a dimmer light.
Kathy Sdao calls luring a method for advanced dogs. Most inexperienced dogs are going to need extra time before they figure out the behavior if you're teaching it with a lure. If you train using different methods - such as shaping and capturing - before introducing a behavior with a lure, then fading the lure should be very quick.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Kathy Sdao calls luring a method for advanced dogs. Most inexperienced dogs are going to need extra time before they figure out the behavior if you're teaching it with a lure. If you train using different methods - such as shaping and capturing - before introducing a behavior with a lure, then fading the lure should be very quick.
interesting! I never use a food lure, so I have never need to fade it. Pretty much anything Kikopup posts is golden...she recently adopted a new dog also!

Part of the reason I don't ever do training "instruction" vids is that the dogs pretty much already know what Iam doing, so it feels wierd to be faking the learning of the behavior. LOL