Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
can you say LAWSUIT, yes, yes you can
Unfortunately, dog owners are often at a serious disadvantage. Often the burden of proof is on them to prove their dog is not vicious (yes, this is legal, because dogs are property). It is often expensive to hire a lawyer, unless you can find one to take the case pro bono. Sometimes the dog is conficated and dead before one can even file and because most dogs have no monetary value, there is really nothing to sue for. Basically, the city usually holds all the cards, even if it is in the wrong. Lets hope they get a smart judge.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM
petperson

Could the owners not file a lawsuit against the city for trying to confiscate their property illegally?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

It boils down to them being able to afford to fight it now that it's started. Just sad ...

It does make you wonder WHO reported it .... I'm assuming the MD, and maybe it wasn't mentioned what her profession was.

I was a tech for 13 yrs and only had 2 bites that required medical attention. In both cases, I refused to provide the information on the dog to the ER dog ... I simply stated it was a dog bite and the dog had been vaccinated (and my tetanus was current). Neither instance caused a problem ...

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Dog-Training-Outlet.com

Well, it does happen! As owners we do what we can to train and control when needed but we cannot prevent another human being from acting stupidly. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
Could the owners not file a lawsuit against the city for trying to confiscate their property illegally?
Sure, but they need the money and the resources to win that lawsuit. It is an unfortunate truth that justice is rarely free, and the less "valuable" the "property" the fewer safeguards there are. Frankly, they can take your CAR on suspicion that you used it for a crime and keep it for months without a hearing. A dog doesn't have a chance.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
petperson

Good grief. What is WRONG with these people? Why must they twist an incident like this into something it absolutely WASN'T?!? If it were my dog, it would run away from home right about now, maybe to an out-of-town friend. (That's probably illegal too, but--prove it.)
Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
petperson

Sorry. Just figured out the "size" control and got carried away.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

I think the city is using a local law that can go beyond state law..or something like that
Lafayette prosecuting Spork, Dachshund that bit vet tech - Boulder Daily Camera

My guess is that, originally at least, the doctor's office notified animal control. I think the same happens here. But then it does sound, if it is written correctly, as if the tech herself pressed charges beyond that..which seems silly.
I've been bitten before, it's just part of the job.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Well, if people weren't so dumb! Someone in the animal business shouldn't be allowed to work with animals if she's that stupid to put her face right up close to a dog's face. That is totally normal for a dog to feel threatened by that, especially when it's particularly nervous about being at a vet's office. That was clearly her fault. She provoked the dog! This just makes me so mad!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Let it be

Working at a dog groomers you just learn all dogs are evil when they walk through our doors. It's nothing personal. Most cheer up and will give you kisses after. No grudges held but when you are causing discomfort, pain and fear in an animal of course it's going to react. Bandit is a terror to send in to the groomer and he's a lovely dog.