Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Hey, isn't that Luce and Shroom at the top of the page?
They do look exactly alike... and underdogged.net(elegy's blog) is on the blog roll.... so it could be possible.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:

The author addressed the "physically resist" point in the comments:

And I tend to agree. People will ignore and ignore and ignore a little dog's warnings because "ohh, little Snookiewookies thinks he's a BIG dog, yes he does! Oh yes he does! Aren't you a big dog little snuggleswuggums, yes you are! OMG MY DOG JUST FSCKING BIT ME!" Obviously this is a rather gross generalization but you'd be amazed at how many times I've heard that exact exchange.
That makes a bit more sense of what they were trying to say. I went back and scanned and scanned the article looking for what you posted..........there was only ONE comment there this morning when I originally read it, LOL I'm glad they came back and clarified that a bit more, and also glad they mentioned how bad behavior in little dogs gets overlooked quite often.

Quote:
Layfayette is just up the road from me and one of the cities I've been eyeing for when I'm ready to get my own place. This sort of makes me rethink that. Not because Sawyer has ever bitten at the vet, nor do I think he would, but because if they're going to flip out on a little doxie, wtf are they going to do if I started bringing a Fila in?
It does say this though zoom:
Quote:
State law in CO exempts veterinary workers from filing charges regarding dog bites.
Obviously that doesn't matter in this case somehow, LOL
Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:

The author addressed the "physically resist" point in the comments:

And I tend to agree. People will ignore and ignore and ignore a little dog's warnings because "ohh, little Snookiewookies thinks he's a BIG dog, yes he does! Oh yes he does! Aren't you a big dog little snuggleswuggums, yes you are! OMG MY DOG JUST FSCKING BIT ME!" Obviously this is a rather gross generalization but you'd be amazed at how many times I've heard that exact exchange.
I agree. There are sooo many things that happen to little dogs ALL the time. You'd be surprised if you only had big dogs. Even the difference between what people tried with my shelties versus my papillons is amazing and you can guarantee they didn't act the same way with my GSD. I've had people poke, prod, chase, corner, pick up (while still on a leash even!), grab at them, run at them barking and stomping their feet (wtf?), I could go on and on. Luckily my two have never bitten and I try my hardest to avoid these situations but they have yelped out before when people do something like that and startle them. I think if it was physically possible for a giant to exist and manhandle big dogs in the same way a lot of them would bite too. Heck I'd probably bite them.

Even dogs giving off CLEAR warnings often aren't respected and that's why a lot of these bites happen. Think about how much bigger people are to them. A giant stranger coming and looming over you and poking and prodding you is not going to be a happy experience for a lot of small dogs.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:03 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:

yes, yes it is lol i'm pretty sure i recognize the photo...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
I'm pretty sure CO is one of those "mandatory dog bite report" states. We had this discussion at our SchH club, where my trainer was telling me a story about a bite that missed the sleeve.
The story goes something like someone was bitten by accident at training. They required medical attention. When they went to the Dr. the story was they fell on a woodpile and got snagged by a nail - where the Dr asked "Well are you sure that nail had all it's rabies shots?" - end of story, lol.

I was told that if something like that happened that you should tell the doctor it was barbed wire.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
overdogged

yes, that's luce, shroom, and my pasty white legs

i suspect that the tech required medical attention and then it became a mandatory dog bite report that ballooned from there.

people get bitten working in vet med. it happens. my boss was in the hospital for three days last year when she was bitten by an unconscious, dying dog. i've been bitten, though never severely. *shrug*

i'm confused as to why this is an issue though. it was a provoked bite by definition having happened in the veterinary hospital. provoked bites don't fall under the requirements for vicious dogs. maybe it's different there.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Squishy face

That's crazy. I'm not sure if in my state a vet could press charges for being bitten. I think its considered an occupational hazard or something.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

The thing that gets me here is not whether or not the vet tech deserved it, not whether or not small dogs are more likely to bite (or why), its the provocation thing. Its the declaring a dog vicious that bit in (basically) self-defense, or at least, when provoked and frightened. This indicates a terrifying lack of understanding regarding animals on the part of the city. Basically, if a small dog biting in the vet clinic makes that dog vicious, then any bite, under any circumstances, must be "vicious" by their understanding. That is spectacularly unfair to dogs and owners.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
That's crazy. I'm not sure if in my state a vet could press charges for being bitten. I think its considered an occupational hazard or something.
but the vet/tech/hospital is not the one bringing suit.

and the state law does exempt dog bites in a veterinary setting, but the city of lafayette seems to think that state laws don't apply to them.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
but the vet/tech/hospital is not the one bringing suit.

and the state law does exempt dog bites in a veterinary setting, but the city of lafayette seems to think that state laws don't apply to them.
can you say LAWSUIT, yes, yes you can