Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Yes No or doesnt matter
yes 2 13.33%
no 7 46.67%
doesnt matter 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 PM
We are Home.

Ive never heard that about the hair. Interesting.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

If you're not using it to train, then of course you don't need the pops. But if you use it for training, yes, you need the leash pops.

A leash pop is not a jerk or a pull. It's a pop. It's quick. It's not forceful. It's a "Hey, don't forget that I'm here, too" kind of thing.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Sierra's doesn't have comfort tips (TBH I've never even heard of them, let alone see them in person...) and she dances for me to put her prong on.

(I think this is the first time I've admitted to using a prong on Chaz... I've kind of avoided the subject like the plague.)
Kharma and Tallulah do too

Heck, I've posted pics of Tallulah where you can see the prong. Not only is she a puller, the prong is the one collar I can put on her for walking that doesn't rub her nekkid little neck raw.

Kharma's good on leash, but there is the occasional lunge after a varmint, and, even more importantly, it keeps HER safe. I can say that she is absolutely under my control. It also keeps some people from walking right up to her.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

I have a prong for both Daisy and Gunnar. Neither have any kind of tips on them. Gunnar's is a nice Sprenger model, real heavy duty. Daisy's is more of a medium duty but for her it's more like power steering and rarely needs to be used as a correction.

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
it works because it's an aversive. i'm not sure why we need to play word games about it.
I don't know if you meant this towards me or not, but if you did I am confused..........I can't see that I've used 'word games'.

I know full well what it is and what it does. As I've said before, I tried it on my upper BARE arm to get the sensation before I ever put it on him. If it were 'painful' I would not use it. If he pulled like mad on it, I would not use it. If he had ever yelped, whined, or had skin broken, I would not use it. I know it isn't comfortable at all times, if it were, it wouldn't work.

If that wasn't directed at me, sorry.........I am just confused since you quoted me to make the statement.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

I think shes refering to the "its not pain its Discomfort" wordplay thats occuring coop
Old 02-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Nope, I also have the HS brand.

Maybe for the cheap prongs.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
A leash pop is not a jerk or a pull. It's a pop. It's quick. It's not forceful. It's a "Hey, don't forget that I'm here, too" kind of thing.
Personally, I can get the same affect by simply saying "hey, don't forget that I'm here, too" to my dogs.

Prong collars are the most ginormous pain to put on dogs at work... firstly because the dogs despise them, and you have to stab them just to put them on. 99% of the time they are not properly fitted, I can see that and I've never ever used one. Sometimes they are literally skintight, sometimes they are loose enough to fit a hand between the dog. I see a lot of flat edges on prongs, sometimes rounded prongs, but never rubber tips. It does seem like they're more to make the person feel better than anything.

As far as using prong collars for "safety"... has anyone heard of sense-ible harnesses, and/or the many other safer, more humane ways of controlling a dog? It's the 21st century. Prong collars, chokers, etc seem so barbaric when there is so much more out there. I would even use a Halti way before using a prong... have you guys ever thought of your dogs self-correcting themselves when they see other dogs, and that constant negative stimulation exacerbating their DA issues? Has anyone who needs a prong gone through +R classes without training collars?

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

I can see me using some kind of head halti on Gunnar, having him launch after a prey animal, and snapping his neck. I'll stick to the prong. This post wasn't about whether a prong should or should not be used, it was about using rubber tips on one.

I've been to many +r classes where no corrective collar was used, and I've done many classes that are completely off leash.

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Ditto.

Sierra's doesn't have comfort tips (TBH I've never even heard of them, let alone see them in person...) and she dances for me to put her prong on.

(I think this is the first time I've admitted to using a prong on Chaz... I've kind of avoided the subject like the plague.)
I really don't care what people use on their dogs. Their dog their choice. Do want to point out though that Sierra dances around all happy like because the prong means a walk. Not because she enjoys wearing a prong.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground