Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Yes No or doesnt matter
yes 2 13.33%
no 7 46.67%
doesnt matter 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
if they didn't inflict pain, they wouldn't work. there is no magic to them- they make it uncomfortable, so the dog doesn't pull. plenty of dogs learn to tune out the discomfort of a prong and pull just as hard as they do on a flat collar.
Pain and discomfort are two different things. It's not pleasant, no, but it is not painful. If a dog tunes out the prongs, odds are they're being used inappropriately.

Personally, I think they should be a temporary tool to teach the dog how to behave rather than a lifelong management tool, and I used them only temporarily or in certain situations. If it's used long-term, that's when dogs learn to tune it out. Also, if they're not fitted properly they can be ineffective. And of course, if the handler doesn't know how to use one, they probably won't work as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
if they didn't inflict pain, they wouldn't work. there is no magic to them- they make it uncomfortable, so the dog doesn't pull. plenty of dogs learn to tune out the discomfort of a prong and pull just as hard as they do on a flat collar.
I most definitely agree that they aren't "magic" and are uncomfortable.........but discomfort and pain are two different things. Being able to breathe and discomfort are also two different things.

And for me personally, if Orson decided he could "tune out" the prong collar and pull 'just as hard' as with a flat collar, that would be the day it was no longer used..........just like the anti pull harness and the gentle leader. He decided he could deal with it where those are concerned and they sit gathering dust in some forgotten closet

I have NEVER needed to give a 'correction' of any type with his prong collar on.......he walks like a perfect gentleman with it. I personally couldn't imagine doing any sort of leash 'pop' with a prong or choke chain on him
(not that we use a choke chain, don't like them, won't use them)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have NEVER needed to give a 'correction' of any type with his prong collar on.......he walks like a perfect gentleman with it. I personally couldn't imagine doing any sort of leash 'pop' with a prong or choke chain on hi
A prong and a choke chain are both training tools. As such, corrections are needed on occasion. What's the point of a choke chain if you never give a correction with it? If you make corrections while in a training collar, then maybe you will see proper behavior. It is when training tools are not used to train that problems stay...problematic.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
A prong and a choke chain are both training tools. As such, corrections are needed on occasion. What's the point of a choke chain if you never give a correction with it? If you make corrections while in a training collar, then maybe you will see proper behavior. It is when training tools are not used to train that problems stay...problematic.
But that is where I've stated time and again........I've tried and tried with him. We have worked on his leash manners since he was 3 months old. His lead skills were going great until he got closer to two years old and started in with DA. If it were a perfect world, no loose dogs ever out and about, his leash manners would be FINE on a flat collar.

He is dog aggressive, there ARE loose dogs out and about.......I have no clue when one will show up, and there lies the problem. I don't consider his prong collar a training tool anymore.........it's a safety device plain and simple. *shrugs* it is what it is.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If it were a perfect world, no loose dogs ever out and about,
No kidding. That'd be awesome. I actually had someone argue to the point of leaving another forum that there are no loose dogs in Australia. Sorry, but there's loose dogs everywhere. It would be great if there weren't, but even with the best enforced leash laws, it just doesn't happen.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

there are so many loose dogs where Iam I've basically given up walking anyone more than a half block. Very fustrating.

so if anyone finds out the magic way to contain them all, iam on board.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Not a lurker

I have a Herm Sprenger (and I just found it, sorry DC lol) it's smooth and I wouldn't put any comfort tips on it.

I don't use it on Lacey, I've never needed to, but it was wonderful when I was teaching Smokey that dragging me down the street like a ragdoll just wasn't going to work. Took maybe a month before I put him back on a flat collar and had a nice walk.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
He is dog aggressive, there ARE loose dogs out and about.......I have no clue when one will show up, and there lies the problem. I don't consider his prong collar a training tool anymore.........it's a safety device plain and simple. *shrugs* it is what it is.
that's how i use luce's as well.

it works because it's an aversive. i'm not sure why we need to play word games about it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM
We are Home.

same as acoop and elegy at home with dogs he knows he can be off leash and walk in a heel without loose dogs He will walk in a heel but you add a loose dog to the mix and a small woman with a toddler and soon to be a infant walking a 75 pound lgd/hound mix then you need something a little more then a nylon martingale.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

Ive heard that rubber tips tend to help with hair breakage

but ive also heard that if you dont make sure its well made/put together, the rubber with cause hair to get stuck in it (ouch!)

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.