Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Yes No or doesnt matter
yes 2 13.33%
no 7 46.67%
doesnt matter 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Ditto.

Sierra's doesn't have comfort tips (TBH I've never even heard of them, let alone see them in person...) and she dances for me to put her prong on.

(I think this is the first time I've admitted to using a prong on Chaz... I've kind of avoided the subject like the plague.)
I've seen some brands that come with the tips in an attached bag ... not on the collar.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
We are Home.

His old one came with them but admittidly wasnt the best made one i got it from dog.com cheap, its not to cause him discomfort its for the added discomfort so to say. I dont use it for training I use it for security I have a strong dog who does not like other dogs and martingales will "strech" so to speak so he can get closer.

Thanks for the tips.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
(I think this is the first time I've admitted to using a prong on Chaz... I've kind of avoided the subject like the plague.)
For good reason. You're likely to get jumped all over for a lot of things, so I really don't blame you.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
For good reason. You're likely to get jumped all over for a lot of things, so I really don't blame you.
And I can assure you it won't do any of the "jumpers" good to do so Nilly is a loving dog owner, she rescued Sierra, loves her very much and does everything in her power to see she is happy, healthy and well cared for.

Any would be jumpers are more than free to bring it on.........I have ALWAYS openly admitted to using a prong for Orson. I use it properly, it is fitted properly, and I find it better than choke chains.

Understand I am not trying to explain this to you Saeleofu, I am pointing it out for anyone to see
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
and I find it better than choke chains.
Absolutely. There actually is more risk of damage with choke chains than with prongs, even if both are properly fitted. A choke chain can tighten with no limit. A prong collar is a limited slip.

And I wanted to add, because I left it out in my original answer...if the prongs did NOT have rounded tips already, then yeah, I'd use the rubber tips just to make rounded ends...if that made any sense.

I also still have the offer open for anyone to come pop me (the way I pop for corrections...not yaking, just a quick light pop) on a prong collar properly fitted around my own neck if they don't believe me that they don't really inflict pain.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
And I can assure you it won't do any of the "jumpers" good to do so Nilly is a loving dog owner, she rescued Sierra, loves her very much and does everything in her power to see she is happy, healthy and well cared for.

Any would be jumpers are more than free to bring it on.........I have ALWAYS openly admitted to using a prong for Orson. I use it properly, it is fitted properly, and I find it better than choke chains.

Understand I am not trying to explain this to you Saeleofu, I am pointing it out for anyone to see
Thank you Coop, I really appreciate that I feel like I've been in hiding for fear of what might be said, even though it is by FAR the most successful tool I've ever used with her and doesn't shut her down.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I also still have the offer open for anyone to come pop me (the way I pop for corrections...not yaking, just a quick light pop) on a prong collar properly fitted around my own neck if they don't believe me that they don't really inflict pain.
if they didn't inflict pain, they wouldn't work. there is no magic to them- they make it uncomfortable, so the dog doesn't pull. plenty of dogs learn to tune out the discomfort of a prong and pull just as hard as they do on a flat collar.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Elegy beat me to it.

everything else I want to say I will leave alone. As the "Jumping" can go in both directions.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

We used to use them with Alaska and Buddy. Alaska was 100 lbs. and when he got his mind set on something, there was no stopping him, especially when he had the urge to hump the Rottweiler or the Rottweiler's owner across the street. :rolleyes

A prong collar seemed to help, but the problem with that is: most dogs, when a prong collar is used on them, will only listen when a prong collar is used on them. I don't think it is a very useful tool for training.

Buddy was a pit bull and he had a TON of strength when he wanted to. He could be gentle as can be when he wanted to, and strong as hell when he wanted too, also; so a prong collar came in handy when needed.

I've never had to use them on Georgia; she's never had any problems staying in "heel".