Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
tessa_s212

Default Inexpensive cameras that produce nice, sharp images?

Dustin and I are looking into selling our current camera (Sony GC1??) and some other things in order to invest in a better camera.

My sister as a Canon Powershot 1100 something I think. It takes nice enough pictures
Ex:

I'm looking into Canon Powershots, but I do NOT want one that requires AA batteries. I DO like that our current camera has that built in rechargeable battery. Decent videos would be preferred, but I'm most concerned with the picture quality.

Would a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS be good enough? Anyone have any experience with these? Do they produce nice, sharp stand still images. (I know a good camera that has really good action shots is out of my price range, so I just want to focus on a camera that will produce very nice, sharp stand stills.) OR high end of our price range: Canon PowerShot SD780IS 12.1 MP

or if you have a better suggestion, please do! I know nothing about cameras!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

I have Canon powershot sd1100 & love it. I still use it even tho i have the d60. It's a great camera. after using a d60 It's crazy slow. lol

Took this with it.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Behavior Nerd

I have an older Powershot and do love it - even the basic models are great for a P&S so I think you'll be safe either way. Have you googled camera reviews? That might be a good start.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
tessa_s212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pups622 View Post
I have Canon powershot sd1100 & love it. I still use it even tho i have the d60. It's a great camera. after using a d60 It's crazy slow. lol
Does that come with the lithium ion rechargeable battery? My sister's requries AA batteries, and I think sh'e's got the 1100 too. I just will NOT agreee to anything that requires AA batteries. I hate having to buy batteries.

We've searched and read reviews on lots, and think we've found one that we like, and already have memory card picked out. So if you guys think as long as it is a powershot and has 10mp, then it should be good for us.. I think we're going to go ahead and get it!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Just try me..

If you find a camera you like.. why not just get rechargable batteries? Some camera's (like ours) came with 2 rechargable AAs and a little charger.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
Does that come with the lithium ion rechargeable battery? My sister's requries AA batteries, and I think sh'e's got the 1100 too. I just will NOT agreee to anything that requires AA batteries. I hate having to buy batteries.

We've searched and read reviews on lots, and think we've found one that we like, and already have memory card picked out. So if you guys think as long as it is a powershot and has 10mp, then it should be good for us.. I think we're going to go ahead and get it!
No it has the little Square battery that comes with the camera & charger. I had a camera that needed batteries also & it was very annoying.

This battery is good to, i charge it only once in a while.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
If you find a camera you like.. why not just get rechargable batteries? Some camera's (like ours) came with 2 rechargable AAs and a little charger.
^^^ That.

Tess, you don't have to keep buying batteries.

We use rechargable NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) AAs in a couple of digital cameras and a few older .mp3 players (iRiver ... great sound!). We use this stuff regularly, and we haven't bought any batteries in years!!

A couple years ago they came out with hybrid NiMh AAs ... they hold a charge for months on storage. (The older ones used to lose a bit of charge on storing ...not the hybrids. This is one area where "hybrid vigor" really is true. ) Two hybrid brands are Sanyo Enloop and Ray-O-Vac Hybrid ... we use both and both with a one-hour charger ... works great.

I actually prefer removable batteries. ALL rechargeable batteries have a finite lifespan of charge/discharge cycles ... it takes a few years with the newer technology ones, but eventually they all stop accepting a charge. Built-in batteries are either expensive to replace (if they can be replaced) or make for disposable electronics (if they're sealed-in and non-replaceable). Disposable electronics are not only expensive but also bad for the environment. Another advantage is you can always carry spare charged batteries ... great for traveling as no need to wait to get to a place where you can recharge a built-in battery.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
tessa_s212

Our current camera has a built in battery. Cannot be removed. I have noticed a shorter charge hold recently than when compared to months ago. CHarged through USB. However, the one we just ordered (got input from Dustin and we picked one we liked) the battery does come out to be charged. If it needs to be replaced eventually, that'll be okay. I've just had lots of bad experiences with cameras that need AA batteries, and the camera dying with only 30-40 minutes of use.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Resident fainting goat

Here is a little nickon coolpix, its an older model but only $120 and got pretty good reviews (4 stars)

Nikon | Coolpix L20 Digital Camera (Deep Red) | 26164 | B&H

the only downside according to the reviews is that it doesnt work well in low-light. so just prop mason up in a well lit room and you should be fine! lol
Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 PM
tessa_s212

That's the problem with our current camera. Does not work well in low light at all. We get grainy pictures all the time. And there really isn't much solving that unless we get a camera that will specifically take good pictures in low lighting. GMIL has heavy drapes over all the windows, plus shades.. no natural light in this house. We made sure we found a camera that had reviews that specifically stated that it took good pictures in low light with little or no grainy-ness. It went a little over our price range, but it means quality photos AND video (so we won't have the urge or want for a cam cord to record Mason either, since it has HD video). It was actually a good compromise, because I always told Dustin a camcord was too expensive and not necessary, but now we can get good videos of Mason to send to MIL, and the quality of the pictures we send to her will be better too. The Canon Powershot SD 9-something is what we got. I definitely felt apprehensive that it cost more than we wanted to spend exactly, but DUstin is big believer in buying quality - it'll be worth the money in the long run then buying something cheap you won't be happy with. I've got things to sell, and already had some saved, and tax return too,.. shouldn't actually cost us anything out of pocket, which will be nice. We didn't give each other any Christmas present, so finally, Merry Christmas to us!

Thank you all for any suggestions and help! I take a lot of pictures, even if I'm not very good at it, maybe I'll be hanging around herein this subforum a bit more now.