Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 09-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Question Puppy Bites!

Hi everyone. I've got a 4 month old golden retriever and she is the cutest thing ever. She is very gental and sweet. But when it comes to the point when she is all axcited, she does kind of snap-bite. Yesterday we were outsite in the yard and she was doing her thing... when I decided that it was time to wash her paws and get into the house. Anyway, when I leaned towards her she turned and snapped! It wasn't THAT painful... the teeth are still growing, you know... BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?? Will it pass away? Or is it something that I have to treat somehow? Is it normal or something is wrong with her? We have a great trust bond...at least i think so. So how do I deal with this?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 AM
Felurian

Sorry we missed this and didn't get to you sooner.

Yes, this is something you definitely need to address. She is asserting dominance and that's something you just cannot allow. I'm going to point you to one of Serena's sterling bits of advice and suggest that you try the NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) training. It's something that you'll want to keep up throughout her life. Serena can explain it much better, and she can probably point you toward some training books, but the essence is that your dog must earn everything she gets, performing a task, however small, such as sit, or down, before she gets anything - petting, food, treats, etc.

The other thing I would point you toward is the training program of the Monks of New Skete.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Puppy Dog

Thank you very much for your help. I will wotk on this issue of mine