Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default The Healthy Eating Thread

SillySally's thread was kind of getting a little off topic, and since it seems like there are a bunch of people trying to eat healthy and/or lose weight right now I thought this might be a helpful thread. Plus it seems like we have some members who really know their stuff on this nutrition shiz

I always have questions, but of course now that I want one to ask and start the thread off I got nuthin

So somebody else ask a question and get it started!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Any chazzer happen to be vegetarian? I'm thinking about dropping meat out of my diet and looking for some meat free tasty tips..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I have on and off over the past few years, never stuck because I really like meat
I think the biggest issue is getting enough protein, though it can be done with nuts and tofu and stuff like that. I usually still ate fish so I ended up eating a lot more tuna.

If you like veggies you could make veggie sandwiches (feta, bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, yes I'm stealing some of this from BP :P) and there are a lot of soups that can be vegetized. I love black bean soup, and that could help with protein as well I think.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Resident fainting goat

Why so many small meals a day? Ugh. Its just so much more natural for me to eat 2 meals a day.. I end up forcing myself to eat these tiny meals lol WHY?

Fruits. I love em'. but which are healthiest to eat? ive heard some are loaded with calories

Salads. how do you keep them healthy when eating out? It seems like calories are loaded into those babies

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I read 'Skinny Bitch' by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin over the past few days. I've always liked meat.. and now I'm really turned off. I did have fish and seafood today.. but I don't think I can look at much else for a while or ever.

My family is hugely non supportive and tried to come up with reasons why I shouldn't eat pretty much anythign on the planet (helpful).

The book has reasons for not eating a lot more, but I can still live with cheese, and having eggs in stuff, etc.

I've been adding chick peas to my salad, adding nuts to my lunchbox. The non supportiveness just also isn't helping how I feel..

I'd like to look at some meatless alternatives this weekend. There's a vegetarian restaurant in town (I know the owner she's a family friend) and their dishes with mock chicken have always been lovely..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I have on and off over the past few years, never stuck because I really like meat
I think the biggest issue is getting enough protein, though it can be done with nuts and tofu and stuff like that. I usually still ate fish so I ended up eating a lot more tuna.

If you like veggies you could make veggie sandwiches (feta, bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, yes I'm stealing some of this from BP :P) and there are a lot of soups that can be vegetized. I love black bean soup, and that could help with protein as well I think.
At least you're honest about it.

I can't help with the meatless stuff, but good luck! I think I like meat too much even though we've limited our red meat intake and eat mostly lean meats regularly.

I'd love to eat more tofu, but I'm finding I can't cook with it very well.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

become a sushi fan...

I would go veg, but I can't keep wieght on to save my life. So I feel I need to have meat occasionally.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post

Fruits. I love em'. but which are healthiest to eat? ive heard some are loaded with calories
A lot of fruits are loaded with calories. But they are good calories. It's really good to eat fruits on an empty stomach so that your body can use them appropriately. My first meals of the day are fruit only and I get most of my energy for the rest of the day that way.

The ones that I can think of off hand that are moderately numbered as far as calories go are; blueberries, strawberries, apples, bananas, raspberries.

Mangoes have a ton of cals in them. It's a bummer because I loooove them, but if I do slice one up, it's so I can eat it over the course of a couple days, unless I'm going to work extra hard that day.

Avocados also have a ton of cals- so when I do have some, I split them in half and sometimes even quarter them.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Just wanted to point out that mypyramid.gov has some great examples on what counts as a serving for the food groups.

Go to the Inside the Pyramid button below the pyramid and choose a group. Then click on "What counts as a/an cup/ounce/etc.

The grains always amaze me!

5 whole wheat crackers? Honestly, who eats just 5 crackers?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Have you tried ak-mak, PW? 5 crackers is 115 cals, but they are long crackers and they are so good!