Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Mutts to you

Default Opinions on soft-sided crates?

Riley is fast outgrowing his Vari-Kennel and I'm debating about getting a soft-sided crate. He is only in his crate at night to sleep and at dinnertime (ours). He is always in sight and at our dinnertime, I usually give him something to chew on until we're finished eating. (During the day when I'm at work, he's in an x-pen in the kitchen and my neighbor comes over to let him out a couple of times. Thanks heavens for retired friends!!)
I do have a wire crate he can grow into, but I hate the idea of having to lug it up and down the stairs (bedrooms are on the second floor).

So, do any of you use soft-sided crates? Do you like them? Any favorite brand?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

I really don't have an opinion one way or another :/ I have a soft sided crate for Jack that we use during agility trials and that's it. He DESTROYS crates, I had to put twist ties and clips on every side of his wire crate because he'd fold the front in and slip out. After I did that he just pulled apart the bars. I'd get home and his crate would be upside down in the middle of the room. But with his soft sided he lays quietly and is good for short periods of time.

I think if you have a crate-friendly, non-destructive dog a soft sided would work just fine. My Aunt has a couple and just has to make sure the zippers end up together on top or else her little terrier knows how to escape.

My favorite part about our soft crate is that the top unzips and during agility trials I usually leave the top open so Jack can sit with his head out.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Yorkie Love

I have a soft sided crate and my dogs are fine in it... they are very well behaved in crates and usually just go to sleep, so I like how light weight they are... the one I have now is just a cheapo no name brand that I got at bed bath and beyond for like 16 dollars... it folds flat and into a bag if I need to take it somewhere with me and I can easily move it around my apartment to clean or whatever.

I have put the poodles in them a few times when they were visiting and they can unzip them and get out so obviously they dont work for all dogs. It all depends on how your dog behaves in the crate.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Seems like a good idea..i would give it a shot.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Salty Sea Dog

if hes not a chewer/digger there pretty good...
they can however be chewed through by determined dogs.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

On older trained dogs, they are great and much prettier than typical crates

but for puppies, forget it! lol they will tear that thing to shreds

these are the ones I most commonly see:
Amazon.com: Pet Gear "Home ***39;N Go" Soft-Sided Pet Crate, Medium, Blue Sky: Home & Garden
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Just try me..

dog sport people have them.. and I am filled with envy. Even Bounce, who loves her crate and NEVER digs, or barks etc chewed her way out of a fabric crate. The JRTs are fine in it till I leave the area.. then boom they are out! I wonder how they know they know they can get out that first time?

No help really.. just wishing I could use them.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I found they tore way to easy. I spent $100 on Muffin's and it now has a huge gash in it. I can still use it bc Muffin doen't really "try" to get out... but well... it's not the same.

I liked how easy it was to assemble, disassemble. I like how lightweight it was..... but now I just use the wire and vari kennels.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Like others have said, they are pretty good if you don't have a chewer/digger.

I have a wire crate and a soft crate for my girl.

The wire crate is a lot more practical when it comes to playing crate games.

The soft crate is a lot more practical when it comes to transport. She also sleeps in her soft crate.

They both have their advantages.

Last edited by Catsi; 02-16-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Mutts to you

I think I might give the soft side a shot... I do have the wire crate if necessary but it would be nice to have something easier to transport and set up; especially when we go visit my parents (where grand-dogs are always welcome). Riley usually winds up in his crate if we're eating dinner there and he usually just takes a nap.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey