Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenRetriever View Post

Our Westie actually LIKES cats, go figure! He was raised with them though ... perhaps that's the difference. But gophers or squirrels are "rats" to him .. he always wants to go after them.
haha... ours were raised with cats basically from day 1, as soon as they were up and walking they had access to cats but no matter what I try they STILL think they are something to chase.

And Armani is always so proud to show me when he has one cornered He is lucky the cats are nice because they are twice his size.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Active Pup

Default Tiny papillon

I have a papillon who is only 3-4lbs. The vet does not seem to be too worried about him but then again he was just diagnosed with luxating patellas. I know for a fact that he is a fragile little dog, but I also know that I cater to him even when he has the most minor injury, so, he may enjoy the attention.
I should mention that he was the runt of the litter.
I do believe that small dog breeds can be healthy but I also agree that they are very fragile and even the most careful person probably can not prevent an injury.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Active Pup

my mom has a small female papillon. she got her from a breeder in new jersey not to far from where she lives she went in person to get her a few years back. her dog Mariposa only weighs just over 3lb. her parents are not of the toy size. Mariposa was the only one of the litter to be that small. both her parents are of full 8-9 lb papillons. my mom is having issues with Mariposa not wanting to eat or drink. her hind legs are becoming weak and is having issues going pee when outside. can anyone please help me and my mom with this situation. her bladder is becoming harder to control. my mom has been using a vet up there and he is an awesome vet. they are having issues determining what could be wrong with her. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lauri
Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladj8807 View Post
my mom has a small female papillon. she got her from a breeder in new jersey not to far from where she lives she went in person to get her a few years back. her dog Mariposa only weighs just over 3lb. her parents are not of the toy size. Mariposa was the only one of the litter to be that small. both her parents are of full 8-9 lb papillons. my mom is having issues with Mariposa not wanting to eat or drink. her hind legs are becoming weak and is having issues going pee when outside. can anyone please help me and my mom with this situation. her bladder is becoming harder to control. my mom has been using a vet up there and he is an awesome vet. they are having issues determining what could be wrong with her. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lauri
Hi Lauri

You might get more responses if you make a separate thread.
What kind of diagnostics has the vet done? Bloodwork and xrays?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladj8807 View Post
There used to be a member on here that had major problems getting their pap to eat. Apparently it's not unheard of in the breed to get an occasional dog that is determined to starve itself. If they were bigger it wouldn't be such an issue, but they are so small it can send them into hypoglycemic shock very quickly.

I think I remember her using nutrical to help keep her weight up and blood sugar even. Eventually she did start eating normally. I'll see if I can dig up links to those threads.

ETA: here it is. There might be some clue or helpful tip in here you might find useful. http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...ighlight=riley

Last edited by Romy; 06-29-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm All Ears

I would try to get a second vet opinion on her. That sounds pretty extreme.

Summer has gone off food before for long enough that she must feel really sick and then will not want to eat because she feels so bad. In cases like that I would put nutrical or wet food in a syringe and force feed her a bit.

Mia has the opposite problem- she wants to eat everything.