Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

it was 2 hours, not all day. 2 hours. It's not something I would do to my dogs, but it not something I'd be butting my nose in to call the cops on someone either unless there was a darn good reason. A lab outside for 2 hours is not a big deal. Not by a long shot. No water for 2 hours?? oh no, those uncompassionate a-holes. my dogs must be Sadists cause they ignore the water bowl for hours on end. I think they do it, just to suffer.

now continue, tell me how likely it was that he'd jump over a 3 foot rail from the 2nd story. I know it's coming. and it still won't change my opinion. Especially if he's been being put out there since he was a puppy, he'll respect that rail just because it's there. now throw in 20 feet of drop off, i'm sure he's not jumping. But go ahead, tell me how it's possible.

The dog wasn't in immediate or life or death danger. you can spin it any way you want, but he wasn't. I don't like it any more than you do, but there are lots of things others do with their dogs I don't find particularly nice, but it doesn't mean I go calling the cops on them either.

as for the temp? a dog bred to swim in icy waters or a human in underwear? hmmmm, excellent comparison.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

I'm not going to argue the points regarding the railing etc. You made a decision because you were concerned for the dogs welfare - that's all that matters. Your intentions are all that matters. If you're wrong - it's no big deal. You would feel worse if you had ignored it and minded your own business because you would have felt guilty. Sometimes we make decisions based on our gut. That's not a bad thing.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Crazy Dog!

I'm actually gonna side w/ Releasethehounds here. If you were just driving by, and it's a 2nd story balcony, so... 10ft high. How do you KNOW there wasn't water, or a blanket set out for him. A 6in tall water dish isn't going to be seen from the road.

How do you know the dog wasn't tethered in such a way that he can't physically get over the balcony?

When I go on vacation to my aunt/uncles house they have a 2nd story balcony. It has steps leading up from the outside. After the dog have been swimming I often leave them on the balcony to dry. They may be out there a couple of hours. Now granted, I don't leave them out there if I'm not there, but still. If it warranted a call from the cops I might be a little peeved.

After all leaving dogs loose in the house while you aren't there is darn sure not very safe. No telling when they might chew an electrical cord or jump through a window.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
~Caiza~

Its a two family house and it is far enough back from the street to see atop the floor of the balcony believe it or not. I'm driving on the opposite side of the street to see it clearly. Anyways, in my opinion thinks it is stupid to leave a young pup out on a second floor balcony in the windy freezing cold with no shelter. The dog was sitting there shaking and trembling. Now, whether it was nerves or the fact that he was cold is anybodys guess. As far as calling the police because the dog officer is a joke around where I live, it was my only choice. I think I did the right thing and that's all that matters.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
~Caiza~

Oh, and one more thing I guess to some of you I should have turned the blind eye....but, if it were the summer, 95 degrees and I saw the yellow lab sitting on the top of the second floor balcony with no shelter or water panting because it was so hot should I have still turned a blind eye then. Maybe I saved this dog by having the police show up in the winter from cooking in the summer months atop a balcony.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattlehound_ACD View Post
I was told that I should mind my own business
Were you told that by a cop? If a cop ever says something like that to you, just ask for his badge number and what the name of his on duty superior is. They should not be talking like that to people, and if they are their superiors need to know about it so it doesn't continue.

I was berated once by a police officer for calling 911 for a homeless man who was doubled over in agony, and had pants soaked in fresh blood. He asked me to call for him. So I did. Some cop came out and started yelling at me for wasting city resources on an old drunk as the fire crew was assessing the guy. I let him finish, got his badge number, and then reported. My little brother volunteered at the dept. and let me know that officer got in deeeep doo doo.

I would have at least called AC about the dog. Mainly because of the lack of shelter, food, or water. I can understand if they are on a schedule for food (ours aren't free fed) but no water? Not okay. And in most places not legal.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Crazy Dog!

Why couldn't you have left a note for the owners or possibly just drive by later when they might be home?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 AM
BusterLove

I think if your concerned your better to do something and not have to worry about it eating at you later. Better safe than sorry.

PS. I hope Caiza is well. I often still think of him

Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Big Dog

I think you did fine. If they weren't doing anything wrong, no harm done.

-Jessica, Reed (10/09) & Sadie (02/08)
Read all about Reed's adventures in our blog: Reed the WHV
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
~Caiza~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Why couldn't you have left a note for the owners or possibly just drive by later when they might be home?
I don't want any trouble and just by knocking on there door to tell them what I think may have done that. I walk by the house often with my dog as well. A note I could have done but honestly didn't think of it. I figured the proper authorities would be better .