Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Default Kinda an odd question but: anyway to stop a dog from drooling?

Nikki doesn't drool, per se, but she does leak. Everytime she finishes drinking, she leaves 'Nikki trails' all over the house, because it's like the last mouthful she just lets hang out in her mouth and she never swallows it, just lets it dribble every where. And with her there's no intermediate gears, it's either park, or full blast, so after she's done she quickly moves onto the next thing that catches her attention (I swear she's ADHD), which leaves the aforementioned Nikki Trails of water throughout the house. Sometimes it's not too bad but today, with it being hot, she's panting and drinking more than usual when we come in.

We do own flood insurance but I don't think this is covered.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Millie and Lucy are dainty drinkers and don't do that, but my Harley and Rosie, my rotties, used to that all the time. Meh. I don't know how to "stop" it except maybe to towel her face off after she drinks, lol.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Show Dog

Some breeds drool more than others. You didn't say which breed you have. All dogs tend to drool when they are stressed. I have Great Danes and they are prone to drooling because of the physical makeup of their mouths/lips. When they drink, they drool BIG! It's just part of owning some breeds. It's the breeds with the hangy down cheeks. (I know there is a word for them but I can't think of it right now.)

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale
Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
petperson

Flews?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
Flews?
YES!!!!

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale
Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Well I understand my Labrador drooling, but she's a GSD, and a lady at that. Our LAST GSD didn't drool (though she was a mix with a GR).

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Unfortunately my man, unless you towel her off afterwards, there is nothing you can do about it.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 05-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Mutts to you

Other than a towel, not much you can do. My folks used to put a couple of towels around the water bowl because their English Cocker did the same thing and they hoped to catch the worse of it.

You'll be happy to know horses do the same thing and they can hold a LOT more water in their mouths... Usually find out when they release the flood down the front of my shirt.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Fila Love

Of course my Filas drool, but I have found out they drool more if they have an ear infection. Have you checked her ears?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by filarotten View Post
Of course my Filas drool, but I have found out they drool more if they have an ear infection. Have you checked her ears?
I don't think she's drooling all the time, or really drooling at all, just spitting out her water or sticking her whole face in the bowl and then dripping.

Our wheaten does it, too. Best bet is a towel under the water bowl, does she spit it all over the house or just around the bowl?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com