Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Dog Suicide- Overtoun Bridge Mystery

Has anyone heard of this? It's quite strange.

Located near Scotland's charming little village of Milton in the peaceful burgh of Dumbarton, the Overtoun Bridge is a local arch construction where no human beings have ever died in any suspicious circumstances whatsoever over the last few decades.

However, during that span, for reasons we can't begin to possibly understand, hundreds and hundreds of dogs have killed themselves there. It appears that dogs have been plunging off of Overtoun since the early 60s, at a rate of one animal a month... bringing the total number today to around 600 mutts, who for some reason, decided to end it all.

Here's 2 other articles as well:

Overtoun Bridge Mystery

Why have so many dogs leapt to their deaths from Overtoun Bridge? | Mail Online

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Twin 2.0

Oh wierd....I've driven over that bridge and it's really pretty...
Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Odd. My dad grew up in Ireland and once had a hunting dog, a yellow lab, walking across a bridge, and someone shot a gun even though they were in a town, and she jumped off the bridge, assumingly to retrieve whatever was shot, and fell to her death. I wonder if it's at all similar.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Rumours have long circulated that the bridge and nearby Overtoun House are haunted. In 1994, local man Kevin Moy threw his baby son to his death from the bridge, claiming he thought the child was the anti-Christ.
Shortly after he tried to end his own life with an unsuccessful suicide attempt from the same bridge.

Read more: Why have so many dogs leapt to their deaths from Overtoun Bridge? | Mail Online
All the stories talk about people with their KIDS when their dog jumps off.

Kinda creepy. maybe the dog followed an instinct to save a child... Weird.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

My guess is, since the dogs always jump from the same spot between two pillars, and it's always on a clear, sunny day, and all the dogs have been long-nosed breeds, is that they can smell the mink or whatever underneath and because of the situation, some kind of reflection or optical illusion makes it seems like a much smaller jump.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Creepy!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Weird and scary !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
My guess is, since the dogs always jump from the same spot between two pillars, and it's always on a clear, sunny day, and all the dogs have been long-nosed breeds, is that they can smell the mink or whatever underneath and because of the situation, some kind of reflection or optical illusion makes it seems like a much smaller jump.
Hmm. they should bring service dogs across. Like on leashes of course. Arent they trained NOT to follow their nose?

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dogs3cats View Post
Hmm. they should bring service dogs across. Like on leashes of course. Arent they trained NOT to follow their nose?
yes, but I'm sure not EVERY dog tries to jump, and it would take a lot of service dogs to prove that was it...I'd like to see if the dogs did it with some kind of visual cue or proof of the drop, like if there was platform on the other side would the dog jump on to that and then off of that anyway? And I wonder if a short-nosed breed has every done it?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
No thumbs = No mutiny

That is creepy. Poor dogs.