Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Default I know we've looked at this before

But it's all concise here, which I thought was neat.

Dog breeds in 1915: Dogs of all nations
Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Sport Model Pug

Corded Poodle? Looks like a Puli kinda..

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Poodles can be corded. I'd love to have a poodle with a corded coat, but I'd never be able to keep up with it.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 AM
facetious.

The Bull Terriers and Dobes are so contrasting to current standards.

..and the Bordeuxs look super awesome and mastiffy.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

I love the rough coated basset hound.

There's quite a difference in the boxer too. If people mistake modern ones for pitties, what would they think of these!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 AM
facetious.

Yeah, I feel like I noticed the same thing about the Boxers.. much more Mastiff/Bullyish.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Look at the Boxer, Keeshond, and the Bull Terrier. Nothing like what we see today.

See the coat length on the poodles? It's a wonder it's gone from that to the over-exaggerated growth we see on them now. I think if more were shown in HCC it'd be more about structure then who's the prettiest. And the Miniature Schnauzer looks gigantor... and so many more colors than whats accepted now - unless its not an *AKC* book. And No Miniature Poodle!! :O
Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 AM
and Fozzie B!

Wow... did you see the Sheltie? It doesn't look anything like a Sheltie! The eyes alone are way different, not to mention the coat and head. It looks like a little BC.

Shetland Sheepdog:
This variety is of recent origin, the questionable intention being to evolve a toy Collie. The weights aimed at are from 7 to 10 lbs, and the colors and conformation through out should follow the Collie as nearly as possible.

The Kelpie looks AMAZINGLY similar to Kelpies today... especially considering that those are notnotnot show dogs, just working dogs.

The Lab looks like I wish Labs still looked today.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie

Last edited by ihartgonzo; 02-11-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Crazy Dog!

There were a number of breeds who look very similar to what is seen today. Ususlly the less popular breeds.

I thought the poodle looked very similar in size and structure to the ones seen now. I dont agree w/ Mer. on the coat comment. I think the coats of today are more groomed/sculpted, but it seems to me that the black std. poodle in that book carries a very lengthy coat. Would love to see what it looked like if it was alive today and was dropped off w/ a handler to be groomed.

I also wasn't a fan of the lab. Look at his topline, ouch. Now I will agree that he looks to be at a better weight than most of the labs shown today.

The (English) mastiff is almost a carbon copy of those you see in the ring today. The Flat-coated retriever is also very very similar. Oh, and it looked like the Malinois (Belgian Shepherd I think they called it) is still very much similar.

To the comments about the sheltie. The sheltie is actually a pretty new breed compared to most. This book was probably written in the very early developmental years of the sheltie. Early early shelties were not producing the type etc people wanted. Obviously it states that they were tring for a miniature collie, it took quite a few generations of breeding to get there.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 AM
just call me Nilly

Such a fascinating read! I'm definitely pulling this up at work today, since I know they'll be interested by it too.

There were so many that looked dramatically different from what's bred today, and then a few surprises. The French Bulldog for example? I thought that one would be totally different, but it's not really.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010