Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Raising a paw in appeasement?

So Monday at my second Rally class, my dog was pulling his "if I wave enough maybe I'll get a cookie" stunt. The trainer told me he was trying to appease me, and that raising a paw is a sign of submission.

I've never heard that before. Is it really? I mean, I know my dog better than to belive her in my case, because he really does try to wave at every chance he gets because he thinks there's a chance of getting an extra cookie. I need to give the waving a rest for a while so he can do a front without trying to get a bonus
Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Crazy Dog!

Raising a paw is an appeasement, or calming gesture. You can read your dog better than a stranger though, and if you think he was waving, then he probably was.

Either way, it shows he had too much time between activities to either sit and stress (stress can be good, excitement) or to start offering behaviors. You might want to work on a "chill out" command/behavior, so that in his downtime he can relax instead of sit there offering behaviors.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
BusterLove

Harry uses his paws a lot to start play with dogs "above" in the hierarchy. He used to with Buster and now with Sophie he will dance around her and put his paw out and ocasionally whack her acros the nose with it.

Mac does the same with Buster and occasionally Sophie. Jumping around him and using her paws all over the place to get his attention. It does seem to be a bit of a submissive gesture in our dogs but I havn't really thought about it before.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Now that I think about it, I have seen dogs raise their paws for that reason. That's not what my dog was doing - he was definitely waving. But it is good to understand it either way.

He was doing it every time I had him do a front. His butt hits the ground and he waves. It's because we've worked on wave way too much lately in comparison with other behaviors. And it's an easy behavior, so it's one he chooses when he first starts offering behaviors. Between exercises, I have him down and chill, and he's fine. He just thinks "wave" is synonymous with "sit"
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Do you get points docked in Rally for your dog waving to you?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

as with anything concerning dogs, a behavior can mean lots of different things in combination with lots of other subtle body language.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
BusterLove

lol Buster and harry also use "wave" whenever they arn't sure of what I;m asking. its kind of an "if in doubt... try this!" thing. lol

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Raising a paw can mean so many things...it can be appeasement, it can be initiating play, it can be rude and pushy, it can be attention seeking, it can be a cute parlor trick in hopes of treats. It really depends on the context.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Do you get points docked in Rally for your dog waving to you?
No, but you do get points docked if your dog gives you a high-five thereby touching you. Thanks Auggie...

Kota was a frantic appeasement paw waver. But yeah, you know your dog best and you will know his body language!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Raising a paw can mean so many things...it can be appeasement, it can be initiating play, it can be rude and pushy, it can be attention seeking, it can be a cute parlor trick in hopes of treats. It really depends on the context.
^^^That.

Pawing is also highly self-reinforcing for most dogs... they just like doing it. If you teach a dog a behavior that involves pawing, chances are they will fall back on that behavior if they don't know what else to do. That's how I can tell if someone's taught their dog "shake," the dog will paw when it's meeting new people. IME it's very difficult to put pawing on stimulus control.