Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

I bike with Lola. No matter how fast I go or how slow she is always able to keep up. We did a full 12 mile ride last summer and she stayed with me all the way without stopping.The only time we did stop was for about 5 minutes after 6 miles so she could take a pea break.We are usually going about 12-14 miles per hour.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 AM
Plus One

I used to but haven't since fudge tried to break my wrist

It's fun and I should try again to see if i can train him NOT to herd the bike LOL
Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

I have one of the nice attachments for my bike. It does work great - if she pulls, it is set on so low it doesn't pull the bike over at all. I hook her harness to that (it has a break away piece that you can set to different levels) and keep her leash on a collar in my hand.

It took a lot of work to make Meg comfortable with it, but she is Meg and she is odd. Lots and lots of cookies. We just did relatively slow (trot speed for her) loops around the neighborhood. I wouldn't do much on pavement or go fast on pavement - I'd be worried about feet and possibly joints.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I have not, but I do rollerblade with her

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

I used to with me eskie...but I just held the leash AND the handlebars with the same hand, he was a really good dog. I can't imagine trying it with my two now..Milo would attack the tires and Benji would totally go into a panic attack about being so close to the big scary bike.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Puppy Dog

I use a halti headcollar with a leash for now, but I want to get a springer attachment at some point.

http://www.helpsaveone.org/

http://www.unchaindogs.net/
Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 AM
MyHorseMyRules

I'd love to do something like this with Raja, but I shudder to think what she would do. Probably pull the bike over and drag me out in front of a truck or something... Evil mutt. I actually would like to try biking with her, though.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

When we had four dogs, I'd go biking for 2 hours and rollerblading for 1 hour with them everyday.

We had...
Oliver the Larador
Samwise the Border Collie x Lab
Layla the Boxer
Georgia the Boxer

There was a nice long trail behind my house, and I go with Oliver or Samwise on the leash some of the time, and then let them off. They'd run alongside the bike and I never had a problem with them getting in front of it, although sometimes they'd fall behind to go potty and then run as fast as they could to catch up!

At first I'd go with only one dog at a time, holding the leash close to the bike so the dog learns what you're doing and not to get in front of the bike, and to keep up. And then you can let that dog off the leash, and take the second dog on the leash, and so on.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun, be safe, and wear a helmet. It's twice as dangerous with dogs.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
~Lisa~

I bike with Blaze ALOT in the summer.
I just tie the leash to under my seat. He knows not to pull after a squiral or dog ect. He just trots along beside me. And when we get to a safe are I let him run off. If I say "OK" then he knows he can run ahead as far as he wants. If I say "Back" he rides behind/side me. "move" means to get out of the way.

It took a good amount of training, but I would rather train him to be awsome, then worry about him dragging me down after a squiral or beaver or somthing lol.

In summer we have been known to bike for hours, covering about 20km's. He is one tired dog by then lol. We DO take breaks. We always stop at my grandpas grave, and sit under the big tree out there and relax for a while.