Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default Unsure what to do..

My friends bitch has had puppies and I am very tempted to offer one a home.

I have grown up with dogs and worked in a boarding kennels when I was in school, attended a few puppy classes with my school librarian (long story!) when I was in school, and generally always been into dogs.

I have been doing my research on the net about training etc etc and know I would give a dog a fantastic home (well, I hope!). I love walking dogs, and live near a park, countryside, beaches etc, so no problems in that respect.
I understand the demands owning a dog puts on you, and everything to expect!

Now, the only problem I have is that both me and my boyfriend work full time.

I live close to work, and can get home on my dinner break from work, but I am worried about leaving a dog alone during the day. I would really really love to get one, and in all respects feel ready and willing.

I have had advice off some people who had this same dilemma and got round it, and other people saying no, no no!

Please help!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Walks into Mordor

People who work full-time can have happy dog. I know quite a few working dog owners, myself included. I do warn you that it is not a task for the faint-of-heart. You absolutely MUST make time for your dog. No lingering after work for a friendly beer with your co-workers, or sleeping in until the last possible minute. Here's what I recommend doing:

The best age of dog to get would be an adult or adolescent, at least 8 months old. They can hold their bladders much longer, and are usually calmer and have less "baby puppy" issues. You can often find one already trained. If you absolutely must have a puppy, go for an older pup at least 3-4 months old. That way, they can at least hold their bladder until you come home for your break.

Crate training or a puppy-proof room is required. Don't trust your dog alone loose in your home until you're absolutely sure he's reliable indoors. If you have a secure, fenced-in yard and nice weather, consider leaving your dog outside for part of the day. Many breeds of dog enjoy being outside for a bit (I know my dog Zeus loves it), and it's preferable to being left in a crate or small room all day

Give your dog a nice long walk before you go to work. When you come home for lunch, be sure to do more than just eat and leave; play with your dog and maybe do a bit of training. Take another walk with your dog when you come home. Be sure to spend a lot of time with your dog on weekends.

Good luck! It is a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

I think it would be fine! Honestly, if all the people who worked didn't have dogs, there would be ten times as many in shelters...

As long as you spend time with the pup when you come back from work, and he has lots of toys to play with during the day, it will be fine. It's much more of a problem when people spend lots of time commuting as well, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of pups is it? Keep us posted
Old 09-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Love my pets

From your posting, it sounds like you've done your research as to what's involved. Since you live close so you can come home on your break that's even better. I wish you all the best if you decide to get a puppy and know we're here to help with any questions you have.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Thanks for all you replies! It is great to get an outside, unbiased opinion on things!

The pups are cross bred - Gran looks like a border collie, mum looks like a lab and apparently dad is a staff cross boxer!

They have a son from a previous litter also who looks like a brown english setter!

The pups are a mixed bunch and were only a week old when I saw them for the first time. Some are black and white and some are blue merle and they are all beautiful!!

Will let you know if we decide to get one and of course, if we do, we will get a photo up
Old 09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

There's this thing which the company KONG made and i think its called the kong diesperser? Every while it drops out a kong filled with stuffin you put in. Then the dog can play with that till the next comes out. Another good idea is to fill two puppy kongs with filling, then hide them in the puppy room. The pup will smell the food and look for them and try and get it out. Lots of toys will also keep him/her amused
Old 09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Heres the link for it...

http://www.kongtime.com
Old 09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Island dweller

Absolutely possible. In fact, most of us probably do it! I'm at work right now. You know that puppies are a lot of work and if you aren't there all the time the training process will be slowed down but that doesn't mean it's close to impossible. Anyway you can take some time off for the puppies arrival? Get him/her used to the schedule and house? A little time for bonding. If not, then have the puppy arrive on a friday night (if you have a m-f 9-5 sort of schedule). That way you'll have the weekend to make things as smooth as possible.

As for the crate training I do not think it is mandatory but some sort of restriction is preferred. A puppy proof room is ideal imo. or section off an area of the kitchen. Baby gates? Play pen? I'm don't think crates are mandatory for all dogs. They are a tool and like anything they have to work for both the dog and the owner. My dogs have never been in one.

I'm glad you can come home at noon. That will make all the difference to your pup. He'll know that you are always coming home so if he holds just a little while longer he can go potty for you like a good boy! lol

good luck!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:51 AM
Show Dog

Must admit I wouldnt - puppies require lots of work and constant training and interaction and will suffer if they dont get it. If you want a dog I would go for an older one theres lots out there desperate for homes.

I take it this wasnt an accidental mating as its a second litter, perhaps you could also have a word about spaying their bitch.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Thanks for the replies, more stuff to consider and think about!