Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Default AKC question

is it possible for a dog to be AKC registered & not be qualified to register w/ the associated breed club?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Twin 2.0

I don't think so? usually it's the other way around, they are part of the breed club, but not eligible for AKC reg.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Most breeds don't have a breed club that offers registration - JRTs are one of the only ones I know, plus several of the working hounds if I'm not mistaken - but John Q Purebred doesn't. (For example, the Collie Club of America is the parent breed club for the collie, wrote/approved the standard, etc. but they do not register dogs). AKC will register if you have papers to submit for registration - whether they have a disqualification or not. Their ability to compete in conformation is the only thing that would be affected ... even DQ colors can do performance events.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
and Fozzie B!

If a Border Collie is AKC & ABCA registered, and they get an AKC conformation champion title, ABCA will de-register that dog or refuse to register them if they aren't ABCA registered but qualify in every other regard.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm All Ears

But the ABCA isn't the associated breed club though is it? The BCSA is the AKC affiliated breed club.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 PM
and Fozzie B!

You're right... I read the question wrong.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Sport Model Pug

I dunno if this counts but it's a severe fault in pugs to be brindle, however the AKC will register them as brindle and they can do conformation just they'll be disqualified. If you go to the pug club of america as a breeder only going for brindles you won't be very well received and the club will not allow you to advertise and be associated with them due to your non-compliance with the standards set forth.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I dunno if this counts but it's a severe fault in pugs to be brindle, however the AKC will register them as brindle and they can do conformation just they'll be disqualified. If you go to the pug club of america as a breeder only going for brindles you won't be very well received and the club will not allow you to advertise and be associated with them due to your non-compliance with the standards set forth.
Same with poodles. You can reg a parti poodle in canada but they just cant do confo

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

the reason i was asking is because of the ALCBA. before they will issue full registration papers on a leopard cur it must prove it can start, run & catch game all by itself. it must be verified by unbiased witnesses (it used to be a breed judge but the breed has grown past being able to do that effectively). so just being bred from two registered leopard curs doesn't automatically allow it to be registered. being born from unregistered dogs does prevent it though as it is considered not purebred. so theoretically if the leopard cur were to be registered by the AKC a dog could be AKC registered w/o being eligible for ALCBA registration. it is a problem that is already developing w/ the UKC changing them to leopard tree hound, in that some people are skipping ALCBA registry and their product cannot then be registered w/ the ALCBA. OTH it lets a prospective buyer know what he is getting. UKC looks good, might win in competition but can't put the meat on the table or ALCBA can put the meat on the table and might or might not do everything the UKC dog can.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Curs cant be Reg with the AKC. In order to be reg with the AKC (Full not limited) both dogs parents have to be Reg, or the dog must be reg with a reconised KC, and be of a reconised breed.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show